Anyone here ever heard of or had their feet fall asleep while running?

My thought is that it's the calves becoming too tight. The shoes aren't tight and seem to fit well.

I have never had this problem but have heard about it a lot recently. I thought it was in this community that someone else was having problems with their feet falling asleep while running but I can't find it now. I'll keep looking and pass your way if I find any solutions.

I did some searching and found that you are probably right about your calves becoming tight. If your achilles and calves are tense that may be causing your feet to tense up. You should try doing some calf stretches before you run.

before i stopped running (years ago) i used to have the problem of my feet falling asleep. It was strange, my shoes felt fine, i stretched really well, warmed up, stretched again...strange. long story short, i re-evaluated the situation, i untied my shoes and within seconds the blood started flowing. i found that its a fine line between tight enough to put the feet to sleep and to loose to support the foot properly. if i were you, I would go back to you purchased your shoes (hopefully from a decent running shoe store) and talk to them about your issues. they might have a better shoe for your feet. it never hurts to ask ryan

It's true that tight calf muscles can cause your feet to go to sleep, and it can also come from pressure on your sciatic nerve. The piriformis muscle rotates your foot out, a common way for your foot to be angled while running.

If there is pressure on the nerve either from the piriformis muscle (crosses over the sciatic nerve), or from the iliopsoas (a low back muscle that originates on the FRONT of your lumbar vertebrae) and the quadriceps (both act together to pull your pelvis forward and down), you can feel the tingling/numbness especially in your arch. This also may cause your calf muscles to get tight as the nerve is being impinged and sending a static message to your leg muscles.

It's worthwhile getting a massage of all the muscles from your low back to your feet. Look for a massage therapist that specializes in trigger point therapy.

Wishing you well,
Julie Donnelly

I also have trouble with my feet falling asleep especially my left foot. I have very high arches and insteps. My problem stems from the way a shoe fits on top of my arch. My feet take up a lot of space vertically in shoes and I have to tie my shoes very strangely. Any recommendations for shoes?