Hi all. I'm new to this site and recently took up running after a break of nearly 14 years - yeah, my body looks like it's been longer! Looks like there some experienced people roaming about these forums. I look forward to learning from your experiences.

I visited a podiatrist (sp?) yesterday for a pain in my arch. I'm going to have custom inserts made, but in the mean time, I have to wear a night splint on my left foot only. I'll pick it up tomorrow.

Anyone ever have to wear one? What can you share with me? Did you notice an immediate difference? Are they a hassle? Is it difficult to sleep? Are they heavy? Do they positvely or negatively effect your running?

Appreciate your feedback!

Were you diagnosed with Plantar Fascitis? I've got that and custom orthotics have helped a lot, but I've never done the night splint.

Welcome to the forums! :wavey:

AZRun,

One thing to do is to take and roll a golf ball under your foot, this will help to massage the sore muscles. I would roll it from the toes to the heal and back to the toes, with light to moderate pressure. A couple of other things that can cause PF be your piriformis muscle, are you having any sciatic pain? Or your calf. For me the calves are the big problem, my PF gets pretty bad if I don't continually massage the muscles.

One thing I would really recommend is the E-book Pain Free Runner from This book will go over the some of the causes of PF as well as some treatment.

We discussed plantar facitis but he didn't specifically diagnos that. He said I have an extra bone (via the gene pool) that causes the tendon to attach too far back towards the heel - it's only 1" or so but messes up the entire foot mechanics.
I guess the tendon gets fatigued, relaxes at night, causing the toes to pull toward the heel. And not necessarily at night but also after a long sitting spell. When I get up and put pressure on the foot the tendon stretches back out and this causes the pain.
The night splint will prevent the foot from relaxing and keep the tendon stretched out.
Is that plantar facitis?

Plantar fasciitis is the inflamation of the plantar fascia. When mine flares up, it feels like I'm walking on the tip of a dull nail when I wake up in the morning.

Since you've got an extra bone and whatnot, your case may be a little different.

Thank you all for the great info. I'm going to check out the book, the sock and try the stretches.

For years I've said, "I really need to get back into running." Now that I've started again, I don't want this problem. I've set a goal to run 2 5ks before running an 8k at the Lost Dutchman Marathon in January. I'll be very disappointed if I get benched before I even hit the road!

Thanks again!

I am going to have to look into "the Sock" I think I have the start of PF and it is bugging the bejeebers out of me.

What does that mean??