Hey all, I have to admit, I'm not much of a runner. I do alot of hiking, but its all relatively flat land...so not sure how much that qualifies as hiking. I am out just about every weekend though, in the woods, or out fishing.

Nevertheless, I decided to get into running to try to shed a few pounds and build up my stamina. I am currently 28 years old, 6'1" and 218 lbs as of this morning. To be blunt, my stamina sucks and I'm way out of shape! :)

Anyway, I did some research, did a few "foot" tests and in talking with shoe (dress) salesman in the past, everything indicated I had high arches, so I selected a running shoe that accomodated that.

I've been running with the New Balance 1060s for only 3 "sessions" now (ran Thursday of last week, Monday of this weekend, and just tonight Wednesday), really jogging until I get tired/winded, then walking until I catch my breath, and resuming jogging again. I've been taking it easy, keeping it at about a mile the first "session" and then about a mile and a half the last two "sessions". Basically I don't want to over do it, just want to build up on things.

Also worth noting, my feet feel great, no pain in my feet, the arches or the balls of my feet, no calf pain, no shin pain...but hell its only been 3 "sessions".

But, alas, my "issue". I can remember this the last time I attempted running and went one time (two years ago, wrong shoes, wrong everything, overran, etc, hated it...never to return until now). The issue is lower back tightness while running. Basicially I believe I am a "heel runner" in that I land on my heels and given my weight, albeit not ridiculously overweight, but enough to have an "impact" on landing while running, I feel this is contributing to the compression of either my spinal column and/or tightness of my muscles.

I wouldn't say it is painful, its just uncomfortable and pretty tight, far more than any of my other muscles. Walking it off does nothing, as it just remains tight until I sit and take the pressure/tension off.

Anyone have any thoughts on this ailment and what I can do to prevent it? I'm certainly not running alot, taking breaks/days in between to recover/rest muscles I haven't used in years, and not even breaking 2 miles per session yet. Just don't want to get discouraged by the tightness in my back or have it prevent me from continuing. Bottom line, it's not comfortable running or walking once it tightens, and I don't want to risk attempting to run more once it gets like that in fear of injury or spasm or whatever.

Clueless newbie runner looking for some feedback! :)

Thanks all!

Stretch. Stretch lots. Relax when you run, too.

you may want to stretch the piriformis muscle....google that for stretches, it's in your butt but a very important muscle to keep loose when running.

Cool I'll look into that more. Unfortunately Im not very flexible, but I do my best to stretch out, mostly my legs. Never really stretched my lower back, but I'll start.

Also when you say "relax" while running, how exactly do you relax? I feel like I'm running relaxed, but not sloppy loose relaxed, just comfortable relaxed. My lower back has been a sore spot for years, mainly due to impacts from snowboarding. So I think alot of it is from compression due to weight, but also likely from a lack of stretching. I'm also thinking the hydration aspect, reading more and more about how essential it is and the negative impacts with muscle cramps/tightness from being dehydrated.

I'll start keeping those things in mind and Google around for the muscle you mentioned.

Thanks for the feedback, please let me know if you have any additional ideas/thoughts.

1060s are NOT i repeat NOT for a person with a high arch. They are a neutral running shoe, with a heck of alot of cushioning. I wouldnt be surprised id you were not slightly rolling in.

You need a shoe with Arch support. The New Balance Components are the Stability Web, TS2, Medial Post, Extended WEB, Rollbar.

You need shoes with one or more of these features in combinatins.

The 1060 has the Stability Web, but nothing to keep the inner foot up and supported.

The 1060 is a NBX New Balance Exclusive. The NBX shoe taht has the support for a high arch is the 1050. The 1050 has TS2, the N-Lock, and the Stability web.

Well it is interesting you say that, I was going based on some of my own research (and I'll admit, I don't know anything about running shoes).

I ordered from Road Runner Sports, who recommended them for:

New Balance 1060

Soft, flexible, airy mesh upper + laces that stay tied
Roomier forefoot + superior cushion and shockproofing
Ingenious N-Lock secures your midfoot in ultra comfort

Best for runners with a medium to large build and medium to high arches.

Nevertheless, in speaking with others that run about my lower back pain/tightness, they suspected I was running incorrectly. So I started researching the "correct" way to run.

It turns out, I was running very heel heavy, landing on my heels rather than the balls of my feet. I assumed this was contributing to a compression of my lower back and tightening of the back muscles. So I switched things up, and on my next session starting running on the balls of my feet.

Unfortunately, my right foot is now what I am qualifying as "injured". This happened about a week ago (my last running session). The extent of it is basically pain throughout the foot. It seems like when I apply pressure to the ball of the foot, it "shoots through" the ball of the foot forward through the toes, especially the middle toe, and throughout the arch/ball.

The "feeling" is similar to having a bone spur/calcium deposit and rubbing it. I have had these in my hands and that is the best analogy I have for the type of pain. It isn't excruciating, but its uncomfortable and noticeable, and certainly not capable of running on.

Another "feeling" is when I cant my foot slightly pivoting off the big toe and apply downward pressure, pain extends throughout the entire arch of my foot.

I am doing my best to rest it and not run anymore until it feels better, but I don't see running on the balls of my feet being the right decision.

I also think, as I was thinking about running while running on the balls of my feet, that I was very right leg/foot dominant rather than equally fluid across both feet/legs/hamstrings. So that may have contributed to injuring my the ball of my right foot but not my left. Right now my left feels perfectly fine.

Any thoughts/recommendations?

someone posted piriformis stretches last week.... I hope they see this and repost those stretches..... it would be most helpful!

I believe that is the one you sit on a tennis ball isn't it?

8O

Seriously. You sit on the tennis ball, you know, under your butt cheek and roll it around to release the muscle deep within the glute. :o

LOL, yeah big time 8O

Its really lower back and upper glutes, maybe lay on a tennis ball? :umno:

If it's the piriformis muscle, yes.

tennis ball :umno:

be careful!

Jen was the site you were speaking of the one where it had the nekked figure doing the stretches?

8O

Here's what you really want to hear. Honest. To be proactive in dealing with this, you should work your core muscles. Note that this is not just the abs, but the obliques and back too. This used to affect me before. What I found happened was the core gets tired, the back tightens, and the hips rotate forward, causing your butt to stick out a bit. This puts pressure on the lower back muscles which are already tightening up. Over time, this can also lead to IT band issues, since this position tightens the IT band, causing it to rub against the side of the knee. Crunches, inverse crunches or V-ups, and the crunch-on-your-side (sorry, don't remember what these are called) exercises will help strengthen the core and solidify your position as you run.

Cool, thanks for the tips...I'll add that to the workout regimen! ;)