I've had lower back pain for many years, off and on. lately it's become worse. In the past 6 month's I had 3 out bursts and this last one was the worse. As of right now I'm in pain with the sciatic nerve pinched and the pain is running right on down to my ankle where the real pain is.
I drive a dump truck and sitting kills me, I just can't sit in that truck which is now becoming a problem at work because the boss is now starting to wonder if he can count on me to work. I want to work but I just can't deal with sitting so I went to a Orthopedic Surgen, they looked at me and told me I need medication and some physical therapy and everything should be fine!
Maybe they are right, I am out of shapee, don't get any exercise or watch my weight and maybe if I started some sort of program it would help but I'm starting to get pressure at work. They seem to think I should get another opinion which is ok with me but he seems to think I got a buldging disc and thinks I should go under the knife and have it done once and for all so I don't have this issue any longer.
From what I'm reading here on the internet, most surgens are not just going to operate without first trying alternative methods which could take some time and if it were to happen again, I don't think my job would be safe. In other words they will find a way to fire me and find someone else who is in better condition so I'm in a position here, do I opt for the operation if I persist or follow most doctors recommendations?
Any help anyone can give me would go a long way in helping me make a wise decision.

Hello there, im wondering if you are still suffering with the pain or not? I was in the same psition as you in 2006, After many years of intermittant back pain suddenly the pain became increasingly worse and just would not go away. I was working for a company in a high management position and worried the same as you about my job. I knew i had disk bulges in the lumber region but had managed to work and even when i was in pain i carried on. One night i woke up at 3am pretty much screaming the place down, dragged myself downstairs unable to feel my legs as they were completely numb and yet the pain inside the legs was excruciating. To cut a long story short the scan revealed those bulging disks had infact ruptured, not goodat all!!! I spent 8 months in bed unable to move, i dont think i have ever cried so much in my life. I was in and out of hospital for pain relief and waitied for an operation. ummmm!! then i was duly sacked by my employers, very nice people!!!! so no job, no money coming in and poorly unable to move or walk. I had the operation to remove all the disk material from the lumber area which was also trapping my central nerve. Woke up from the operation. i could feel my legs, great!!! however, i could not move my backside. I told the Doctor i told everyone and i am sure they did not believe me. This carried on and on and i just could not explain about the pain i felt, it affected everything, i cant sit, cant stand and everything is gone from my life, infact i have no life at all. After having to get cross and upset so many times with doctors i finally came across someone on my side. I recieved my new scan results last week it seems i have had disk material at the very base of the spine that has been causing the problem as its still trapping a nerve and scar tissue has built up around this area also impinging the nerve even more. Well another op for me it looks like, and god i just wish it would all end.
What i was thinking was maybe your disk had ruptured, some people i know just get over it with no intervention with surgery. I think you should ask for a scan to find out. Improving your diet and weight can only help you and try and do some safe exercises thats not going to make you worse. I know what its like , its horrible and i really feel for anyone with this pain. I think the stress of your job also is adding to everything, i particularly remember feeling worse when my employers put pressure on me. I hope you are much better and im hoping i will be soon .

Hi; My name is Cindy and my husband has been going through this for about a week now. It came out of know where. But I have the answer to your problem or problems. This may sound real crazy, but trust me it works. Take your self to a real hot shower letting the water run only on your back. After leaving out of the shower lie down on the floor and put your legs up on the bed for about 20 min. Then when you get up off of the floor sit straight up and bend your back grabbing for your feet for about 20 min. This is helping your spine get back in the order it was in before you started waring the steel toe boots. I know your laughing at me and saying to your self this lady doesn't know what she's talking about, but I bet your wearing steel toe boots and have been wearing them for a while now. The sole of the boots is making your spine touch nerves that connected to your legs and that's why it hurt so badly when you try and sit or stand for so long. Give it a try and you'll see. Hope that helps.

I'm willing to try this sounds easy enough thanks.