Hi, my husband was diagnosed with piriformis syndrome. I only know that it’s caused by compression of sciatic nerve. Can anyone please tell tell me more about this disorder?

Piriformis syndrome is a neuromuscular disorder that causes tingling, pain and numbness in the buttocks or along the sciatic nerve. It is usualy caused by compession of sciatic nerve or when it’s irritated by piriformis muscle. It is aslo called “fat wallet syndrome” and “wallet sciatica”. Treatment is usually started with stretching exercises and massage. Then comes a physical treatmant, but without activities such as such as bicycling and running. Also are used some anti-inflammatory drugs, corticosteroid injections or botox in treating piriformis syndrome. In rare cases, a surgery is recomanded. If your husband found out on time that he suffers from piriformis syndrome, and if he’s treated properly, he will probably be fine. It is not so common that men have this disorder, because some reports showed a 6:1 female-to-male predominance.

Hello, I have recently been dianosed with piriformis syndrome. I can not believe how painful this condition has been. I have started physical therapy and have had steroid injections. I feel like I will end up having surgery due to the fact that I had this condition so long before a dr diagnosed it. My dr cannot find anyone that does this surgery. I do not understand why this condition does not respond to pain meds.
Any information will be appreciated.