I am an avid backpacker and climber, and I have a pretty good level of fitness. I am 6' and 160lbs with 6% BF, 110/65BP and a resting rate in the high 40's. I workout by climbing with a heavy pack. This summer I met a super strong climber that said that running really assisted his O2 usage, so I thought I'd give it a try. I've been at it for three weeks now and I am running 10 kilometers each morning, five days a week. (Thursday and Saturday off)

I run the first 5 km in just under 25 minutes and finish the 10 km's at about 52-53 minutes.

I met some runners at the 10K point on the trail, and they were clicking off at 45 minutes. They said that they were also fairly new runners. Jeez, I think it will take some serious effort to shave 7-8 minutes off my time.

Am I slow? I am trying to keep an 8:30/mile pace and can hold it pretty well for the 10K. Should I be working on getting faster? My heart rate is not getting super high, but my legs are working hard. (HR ~ 155)

No, you are not slow. In fact your times after just 3 weeks would put you well in the front half of races with "serious" runners who have been doing this for many years. Obviously you were in fantastic shape before you started running, and already had a runner's body and heart rate. But it is still remarkable that you can pick up the motion and running specific motions that quickly.

There are different training techniques you could use to get faster, IF your goal was to do running races. However, just give it a few months and you should see big improvements. I was certainly much slower than you after 3 weeks of serious training, but eventually I ran under 30 minutes for 10K. So I would say you have great potential if you want to persue running as a sport beyond just something to help your other activities.

You times, HR, BP, and BF are excellent

Keep up the good work

if you're slow, i wanna be!!

great job. keep it up.

if you're slow, i wanna be!! great job. keep it up.
Sign me up too! 8O

While it's possible, I think they could be bluffing. I know lots of seasoned runners that would be thrilled with a 45 min. 10K training run.
Good job on starting running. If you stuck with it, I'm betting you could get pretty fast.

I echo most of the others here.

If you've only been running that long, and ran that fast.

You are not slow.