OK, so I was down the gym the otherday, and I did a simple 30 minute interval run (1min fast walk, 1min run).

The results are HERE

It seems that my heart rate was around 170 - 200bps for the most part..... i'm assuming thats bad?

According to my calculations (using 220 - age) my MHR is 196... so erm... hmmm !

I didn't really feel exhausted... i'd say that I felt the 'burn' on the last 3 runs, but I wasn't tired at the end of it, and I wasn't sweating much either...

So i'm kinda confused now... should I try to keep my heart rate lower, or keep going at the same intensity as before?

Grateful for any feedback ;)

hr seems kind of high.

You need to find your resting rate and we (lots of folks here) can help you figure out what your real max is. The formula you are using is inaccurate.
take your resting rate by taking your pulse before your go boots down on the floor in the morning. Take it for a few days then report back.

Went on another run today (this time I was running in the streets, not in the gym).

Results HERE

A little bit better I guess :S

How do I go about getting 'accurate' resting heart rate figures? Should I just monitor after i get up, until I leave the front door?

Your HR seems very high 8O

The best time to get an accurate RHR, is right when you first get up in the morning.

If you want I can email a spreadsheet I designed that will help you with your HR calculations

PM your email and I will be glad to send it over to you.

Your HR seems very high 8O
Horray, i'm gonna die I'll try and get my resting HR ASAP (assuming i'm still alive) ;) (Ohh, going for another 30 minute run tomorrow, be interesting to see if my rates are lower still...) EDIT: Btw, if my calculations are 1/2 accurate, and I am actually running at 90% or whatever, is that counter-productive? Should I slow down?

It seems to me that your easy pace is a little too hard. If you're going all out for that 1 min. fast interval, I wouldn't worry too much about what it peaks out at. If you can get a higher HR than 220-age, then I'd use that as my max HR.

For the first couple of years, I felt my Max HR was 198 BPM. Earlier this year at the end of a 10 mile tempo run where I just went full out on the end, I managed to get up to 203 BPM.

Your HR seems high. Are you well hydrated?

Like purple, my max is high. I measured my highest HR at 205 during a very strenous hill workout but I think it may go higher. All the formulas say that is should top out at 196 or so. It takes a lot to get it up there and my resting HR is in the 40's (I've seen 39) so I am not worried.

Yeah I normally have a bottle of water with me on my runs.

Took my resting HR this morning, although I did do some stretches before this, and i just had breakfast... Link

And todays 30min run is here

Doesn't seem to be much lower...

See if you can find the book Heart Monitor Training for the Compleat id**t (and that's how it's spelled) by John Parker. It does a nice job of explaining HR training, the different zones, workouts etc. I love it.

Hmm I might give that book a try, but all I really wanna do is just work out my rough zones :S

My latest runs HERE & HERE

I think my HR is slowly getting lower.... erm... maybe....!

The 220 minus your age formula isn't accurate enough to base training on. There is just too much variation from one person to another. It is possible that you are training at too high of a HR, or it may just be you have a naturally high max HR. When I was younger, my max was 235-240, and even now I can do sustained runs with a HR over 200. This doesn't mean anything bad, it is just the way I was built. Find out what your true max HR is before you get too concerned about it.

Well i've continued doing my 30m interval runs all week, my HR seems to be lowering already (although, according to my 'calculated' MHR, it's still too high).

Looky HERE for a chart, showing my last 8 runs (and my half-hearted attempt at getting my resting HR!) :D

I still haven't managed to get my resting HR yet, when is the best time to get this, while i'm asleep, or before i get out of bed in the morning? And how long should i measure it for, 15, 30 mins? Also, this chart shows my decrease in HR between the 30th May (shown in green) and today (shown in blue). Does that look like good progress? It's still pretty high, and I was wondering (assuming I am running to hard) if i slowed down, and maybe ran longer, at a lower rate, would that be better for fat burning?! I really need to get my rates sorted out now, its starting to bug me ;)

I still haven't managed to get my resting HR yet, when is the best time to get this, while i'm asleep,

If you pull that one off, let me know how it goes.

Otherwise:

If you access to a heart rate monitor with a good memory (i.e. Polar 720) just sleep with it. That's the simplest way. Having (2) little kids in the house, I don't think there is a day that goes by that my HR doesn't SKYROCKET the minute I get up. Usually because someone is screaming, crying, poking me with something, or the cat is being attacked. :umno:

My point being, that would be the most accurate. Borrow one if you don't want to put out the dough, however, if you're serious about HR training get yourself a really good HRM. I LOVE my Polar 720... bike, swim, run... all in one!