Hope this is in the right forum....

My SO is debating getting back into running this Fall.

The two of us have run a small handfull of races over the last 6 months, all of them at her speed. Earlier this morning, we did a local 5K in 32 minutes even. I probably could have run at least 5 minutes faster, if not more.

Although my running schedule has mostly diminished over the last year, I've stayed in pretty good shape due to tennis (3 - 4 times a week) and weight training. My SO is probably a minimum of 2 - 3 minutes (per mile) pace behind me for the 5 and 10K distances at the moment. When we did the Peachtree (10K on July 4th), I felt like I could run another 2 - 3 miles at the end of the race due to our slow overall pace.

If we both get back into a regular fall running schedule with say 3 runs during the week and one longer weekend slow run to prepare for a half-marathon, how do you think I/we should handle the differences in our running paces. I don't think she would stick with a regular plan through out the Fall unless I did it with her. I think we would enjoy training together for a longer race, especially given our busy schedules. But I got to admit that it was a little frustrating today on the 5K race course.

Your thoughts?

That is tough. I have been through similar sorta but not with a SO. It's nice to have a training partner but to constantly train at her pace is gonna be difficult and I could see it hurting your training. You will ne doubt feel held back. If you wanna do it for her go for it. :twocents: What about training together but running your own race for the half?

This may be obvious, but you have to ask yourself: why are you running with your SO? If it's to share the experience together then do it at the slower pace - clearly the reverse will not work. If it's for a convenient training partner then there's a problem if the time differential is too great. If you think 5 min too slow is TOO slow then you should be running with your SO for the companionship only - not for a serious race performance.

Easy for me to say, though - I like running alone.

have you discussed this with her? maybe she thinks she's running at your pace. i'd think the more she runs and trains, the more confidence she'll have and therefore should better understand how you are feeling about setting and having your own personal running goals. i wouldn't think you can train at her pace for the half and then run 'your' race. she needs to understand that both of you need to set a realistic goal for yourselves and then work your own training around those goals. easy for me to say but i'd just think with something as big as a trip to disney for a half, she would understand. running is, ultimately, a very lonely endeavor and that's how i've come to appreciate it. ya gotta talk this one out sonny or your frustration is going to sabatoge the whole deal. maybe start off with one "independent" training run per week and see how that goes.

As my wife is starting to get into running we've been doing workouts together, but depending on what level and distances your wife is at, my suggestion to you would be to do some workouts with your SO and your harder and longer workouts by yourself.

Right now Sandy is at a level where I can do my own workout right after running with her (for now), and this has required me to also stagger my own workouts on her off days, which when we're completely on schedule gives me 6 days a week of running at various paces.

You can use the SO's workouts as easy recovery days, too.

As for races, I think you just need to talk that over with her and let her know that you'd be happy to keep racing with her (if you are happy to keep racing with her, don't lie), but that there are particular races that you need to do at your pace for yourself. If it is a half, great, if it is a 5k you really want to push then let her know which races you need to do for you.

My wife and I are at extremely different paces. (she doesn't put in the miles I do) We go to races together and she tries to improve on her best times, as do I. We have a lot of fun and occasionally, I will run a race at her pace. Most of the time we run our own race pace.
We each follow different training schedules, as she likes the shorter races and I am training for my first marathon. We still will run together on the weekends and I find it's nice for both of us to run at her pace at times.

My wife and I differ in pace as well. When we run together, I adjust my training in the following ways:
    I push the stroller, I use it as active recovery I have a harder run first, meet her at the house, and continue on at her pace as a cool down.
I find that this way it's not so awkward for either of us.