Ok...I'm baffled about my recent gains/improvements in my training recently. I was comparing 2 long runs that I did recently on the same (or closely similar) route, one way back in May, the other just last weekend. The route is about 15 miles on mostly flat terrain. May's time was 2:03. (~7:57-8:00 pace) Last week's was 1:55 (7:35-7:40 pace). HR was in the right training zone (140s-mid 150s) though my HR was slightly elevated due to hot weather and dehydration. This is just off base training with mileage buildup from ~45 back in May to 60 mpw 2 weeks ago with 1 cutback week for every 3 weeks of buildup.The only "speedwork" I was doing during those 8 weeks of buildup were strides and progression runs. Also when I started doing formal speedwork sessions this week the average time for my 400s on Wednesday was faster than expected (1:25-1:26) based on my previous 5k (20:03) and 10k (41:41) times in April. (I expected 1:30ish or at the most sub 1:30) Is it possible to improve that much on only 8 weeks of base building? Or have I made error somewhere by running my 400s too fast (or my long run too fast?) I still have about 2-3 weeks of base then a 10k race at the end to check on progress before moving to speedwork phase. I find it fascinating to see how my body adapts to training stress.

There are a lot of factors, but going from 45 mpw to 60 mpw simply makes you faster all across the board.

In the middle of solid training, an improvement of 1 second per lap per week (4 seconds per mile per week) is normal for me. This might be more while just coming back from a layoff, or less if I've been established at a high level of training for a long time. However, this 1 second per lap per week improvement is quite typical for myself and the runners I coach while on the steep part of the improvement curve.

Figuring 6 weeks between your runs, that makes for a 24 second per mile improvement, or almost exactly what you experienced.

As you move into your speed work phase, you will likely see the improvement in your long run decrease, and you should see a faster improvement in your shorter runs and track times.

Keep up the good work Tim, its obvious that you are doing the right things.

INCREDIBLE JOB TIM!!!

I've been watching you and how you've been training! You're doing great across the board. I especially impressed with your running. You should be proud of this and it's great to see that you are excited as well. Good for you. I'm glad that you're taking advantage of doing all this young. I now regret not competing or doing anything when I was your age.

:banana: