My main running goal right now is to better my 5K time. I'm wondering if I'm running too many longer runs for such a short race.

My current running schedule is this ::

Mon - 6 miles easy (maybe a fartlek run)
Tuesday - 6 miles easy
Wednesday - AM : 6 miles easy; PM - 3 mile tempo with 1 mile w/u c/d on each end for 5 miles total
Thursday - 6 miles easy
Friday - Off
Saturday - 14(ish) miles
Sunday - 7 miles easy

Weekly total = 50 miles

Any suggestions or recommendations for change or should I just keep my current schedule and wait for my times to drop?

I don't really set schedules the way you do PH, but a few months ago when I was running for distance I got quite a bit slower, even on the shorter runs. I guess I just got stuck at that pace. I'm just now getting back to the 5k times I had over the summer.

I think you have too many easy runs in there. Maybe replace one of the easy 6 milers with a 3/4 to 7/8 speed 3 to 4 miler. Sounds to me like you need more speed work. I'm trying to better my 5k time also since that's the race I run most often. Been doing speedwork on Fridays instead of just a 3 mile run. Warm up, go about 7/8 speed for one mile, then do 400's 4x as hard as I can muster. My 3 mile time is finally starting to creep back down as yesterdays 19:34 proved.

I think you need to cut back on one of the longer days and add more 1/4 to 1/2 mile pick ups. The 5k is a speed race really and you would need some of that. You have a solid distance base too. I think speedwork may make the difference.

Where is the track work? You need to bust some 200s, 400s, 600s at least every other week if to get you over the hump...(maybe on monday's) ... (that is one reason i hate 5ks)... i'd rather do my speedwork on the roads....

---
megawill

Missing speed work, definitely. Like Joe said 400/800 intervals.

Maybe Monday and Thursday. By looking at your schedule

Caveat: Running schedules are of course personal things. But I have ran decent marathons on 50 miles per week. I personally use my own schedule which I have found works for me based on trial and error. But let me address this from the perspective of why this schedule would not work for me if I were looking for a faster 5K time.
1. Not enough rest in the schedule. Personally I also run six days a week but my easy days never exceed 3 miles. In shorter races, 3000 meters and less, rest is even more critical than in longer races.
2. Not enough speed work. There is only one way to run faster race times. You have to train fast. The tempo run on Wednesday is great. I use tempo runs as my aerobic (sometimes referred to as lactate) threshold training day where I get my HR up to between 80-85%. My tempo run right now is 6 miles. I run the first 10-15 minutes at an easy training pace and then run 30-35 minutes at the fast pace and then gradually slow to the training pace for cool-down at the end. Three miles is insufficient as a tempo run because you have to get your HR up to the 80-85% range and keep it there for 20 minutes or more to gain significant improvement. In addition to either a tempo run, pace run, fartlek or hill training (all aerobic threshold workouts), speed requires the track time, running at least 400s and 800s at a pace faster than your 5K race pace. Others have mentioned that already so I won't say more on that other than during intervals your HR should be in the 90-100% Personally, I increase the number of repeats and the distance over the number of weeks I have available to train for a given race. So I will run 400s and 800s one week, 1000s and 400s one week and 1200s and 400s. After 4-6 weeks I think you will find substantial increases in speed resulting from interval training.
3. Nothing wrong with a 14 mile long run but 10-12 is sufficent for 5Ks.
4. With a 50 mile base....I could use your schedule and just start lengthening the long run by a mile per week until I got up to the 22-23 mile range and I could expect to do very well in a marathon.
Think about the fact that a 5K (3000 meters) is basically a sprint. High mileage schedules recruit slow twitch muscle fibers and are actually counter-productive in training for shorter races. Speedwork recruits the fast twitch fibers that give you faster 5K times, at least within the constraints of genetics, without which we could all run like Carl Lewis :D Just my 2 cents worth.

I think you need to double your mileage. At least for the next month.

I think you know what my response is.
Have to agree with the majority here, you need to have more speedwork in your schedule if you're training for 5k's. Remember, in order to run faster, you need to run faster.
For a 5k, repeats of 1600 and down, whether they be ladders or just straight repeats.
And I think you need to take one day off a week for rest. I know you won't do that, but I still think you need to.