I know we've got a handful of HRM users. Or if you've used one in the past, what do you feel was the biggest benefit?

Largely I hear, "it made me slow down on the days I should run easy", which to be honest, isn't a plug in my book.

Do you feel that training in certain HR% zones has taken your training to a new level?

In all the running junkie reading I do, I'm only remembering one story where someone hung their hat on the HRM as the cornerstone of their training.

I don't think I'd EVAH use one of them there HRMs...(unless my health depended on it)...

I own one, but I don't use it for running any more. It had me going waaaay slow on my easy runs.

Skip this part if you don't want to read about cycling ::

I use it all the time when I ride the trainer. It's just a part of the gear now. For me it's really hard to tell my heart rate on the bike and just go by perceived exertion. It's a great help on the bike.

Devil's advocate:
Why such a great help on the bike, but not for your running?

I use it all the time now to help me keep my HR in check. One of the restrictions that I have is I can't get my HR >100. So I set the zone alarm and if it goes off I back off.

When I was training, I used it more for my tempo runs more than anything.

Because I have a hard time keeping my heart rate up on the trainer.

I know how better to pace my self at races, i.e. when I need to back off a bit early on, especially in the longer ones.

easy days-definite plus

hard days, have an idea of really how hard I am work, hrm is pretty objective as compared to "feel like I am workin hard"