Judging on my performances on the last 5 10k races I've ran (I've ran only 5 so far...), my times have fluctuated between 43 and 44 min. I think I'm entering some sort of "plateau" phase at the moment. One of the goals that I plan to shoot for by late next year is a sub 40 10k and I'm thinking of how am I going to attain it. I guess the half marathon training would help somewhat in lowering my 5k and 10k times. What sort of mileage/speedwork/training specifically should I consider? Is it possible to get under 40 from my current time now in a year? Or do I just need more time (a couple more years perhaps) and experience in racing ?(I have only about 2 years' experience racing 10k distances) Any ideas?

I think you're well on your way to that sub 40. I think around 30 mpw with one key speedwork day will reduce your times pretty well. I'd suggest 400's or 800's for speedwork, and no more. I too am trying for a sub 40 and think I will have it within the year. Marathon training probably will not give me the best results, but I think it will still drop my times considerably. I'd imagine the same would go for your half training.

That's three of us that have that sub 40 as a goal for the next year.... my pr, set this past year, was 41:13 so I'm not that far away. My problem is that there don't seem to be very many 10k's in this area.

Make that 4 that are shooting for a sub 40 10K next year. I was hoping to nail it this year, but my summer running fell flat.

They don't do many small 10Ks around here either.

I know that everyone will discuss speedwork as the way to go......but before going to pound out 400 and 800s at the track, I suggest that you analyze if you really lack speed or the ability to maintain it.

If you can go pound out 400 repeats sub 78 secs or so.....I don't think turnover is the issue and if you are doiing a 400 and then resting for 1-2 minutes and going on to the next...basically that's what you are working on.

If you are already running sub 20 5k....then turnover is not the issue......lack of LT runs may be. If you like running on the track, just change the workout....run the 400 a little slower than 5k pace...jog 1/2 lap and go right into the next one.....after 4-6 of them take a two minute. Then do it again....again....again.....should be able to do 20-24. (see why I hate track)

or....(and this esp. is for Robp, whom I don't think needs turnover reps) just incorporate LT into your runs. I do the 20 minute stuff. Warm-up two miles...then run 20 minutes at about 10 seconds slower than 10k race (yep, should feel like you are running at race)....then run an easy 5-7 miles and guess what? do again (the best you can). When I can actually do the second set at pace for the full 15-20......I am ready to race. The first couple of weeks this is quite difficult, but it really helps once a week----only!!!!!! There are other workouts...make-up your own for fun. I do ladders sometimes during a regular 8 mile run. (run LT pace for 6 minutes...jog...run LT for 5 minutes.....jog......)

to be honest, when I do incorporate track into my training, I will only run 200-400s in the beginning after building a base. I also think 1000-1200 repeats are the way to go....rather than 800s. And I don't recommend mile repeats until well........ :)

sue

Thanks Sue. I think your advice it's the nail on the head, at least for me.

I like Sue's advice on the 20-minute tempo and then the 5-7 miles and another 20-minute tempo. Sounds like a winner. I do also think marathon training is going to help more than hurt. Provided you're putting in a bigger mileage schedule. My 10-km PR came off of 60-75 mile weeks back in college, so a more advance marathon schedule should give you great endurance as you combine that with the faster/shorter intervals.

I haven't seen the low side of 40:00 for a 10km in years either, so chalk me up as #5 in the '04 quest to go sub-40!!

Does sub 44 count for a 10k? I'd love to continue my best 5K race (22:21) to the 10K distance.... :D

good advice here.

When I ran my fastest 10K I was marathon training...and my long run was up to 16 miles.

the 10K was over sooo fast.

I think if you can consistently run a good 12-14 mile long run...
and do some tempo work, as discussed earlier...that would be better than "speed work"

Set your tempo pace just under your 10K pace, and go for it!

Thanks everybody for the great advice! I'm planning to rack up lots of miles this December to early January in training for the half in Feb. I hope to peak at around 45-50 mpw by the 1st week of January mostly due to long runs (peak at around 15-16 miles). Right now I'm sitting at 12-13 miles for long runs. I will progressively add 1 mile to the long run each week until January. As far as speedwork and other quality runs are concerned, I plan to do at least a 4-6 mile tempo run once a week and incorporate hills into some of my training runs for December. After the 1st week of January to early Feb I will start to add in the shorter stuff (intervals, repeats, etc..) and decrease overall mileage accordingly until race day. I probably won't do another 10k until Late March or April (though I'm setting my sights on a 5k in early March) so the speedwork will continue until then..

Anything counts if you finish it .
I'd love to continue last summers 5k 18:43 into a 10k also but as gassed as I was at the end I wouldn't of made it to 5.1k.....

Thanks for the advice sue. Much obliged.

So it would be like 2 mi. easy, 3 mi. tempo, 5 mi. easy, 3 mi. tempo?
8O That sounds pretty tough, am I reading it right?

That is the way I read it and i had the same opinion. Of course, we may just think it sounds tough because we are not used to the training required for a sub 3 hour marathon.

Anyone up for a Riff Raff race to the sub-40 10k? We've got 5 with the goal. Who's going to break it first?