Hello, I would like to discuss something with you. I am suffering from diabetes and believe me when I say that this is a very serious condition that forces me to take insulin on a daily basis. When I was first diagnosed with diabetes mellitus, my doctor said that it is an autoimmune disease. My question concerns that type of disease – autoimmune. What does that actually mean? What is the true autoimmune disease cause? Anyone?

Diabetes mellitus or autoimmune diabetes is type one diabetes. There are a lot of autoimmune diseases. They emerge in two forms: organ specific and system autoimmune diseases. Autoimmune disease cause in most cases is creation of antibodies for patient's cells. Reaction between antibodies and normal cells is causing pathological effects (over sensibility, lesion of T cells). In diabetes, the final effect is inability of pancreas to create insulin, thus it has to taken every day in order for patient to function normally.