Hi, I have a problem of weight gain, because whenever I’m angry I eat chocolate or cookies with chocolate, or chocolate snacks, generally anything containing cacao. Is there any medical explanation for choclate being used as tranquilizer?

Hi, there is a link between chocolate and well mood, because chocolate stimulates release of serotonin in the brain, which is thought to produce feelings of pleasure. Some studies indicate that chocolate is a weak stimulant because it has theobromine. However, the concentraation of theobromin is too small to create effects in humans that could be compared to coffee effects. Chocolate is favorite food of heroin addicts too, because it triggers dopamine release in the brain and this creates effect similar to that of opium. So, your organism has learned that chocolate can be helpful in anxiety problems, and it’s not a wonder.