Hello everybody,

I need your help and I hope that you can give me some info regarding this matter.

My mom is having heart palpitations. I'm aware that this isn't something to be scared about since I've heard about this thing before but my mom doesn't understand it nor is she trying to. She gets frightened every time it happens, she gets terrified and scared for her life.

The only way to help her out is for me to find out what are the usual triggers for heart palpitations and then do whatever I can so she can avoid these. Also, is there any other way to prevent heart palpitations from occurring?

Hello Adria,

You are right about this not being dangerous, there isn't really much for your mom to be worried about.

These things usually happen due to a lot of stress or anxiety or to consumption of stimulants such as nicotine, caffeine or alcohol. If she could avoid these things, it would help a lot. Also, these things happen often in pregnant ladies, just in case your mom is pregnant.

This usually requires no treatment at all. If you want to prevent this or treat it in a way, only lifestyle changes are recommended. This includes avoiding caffeine, nicotine and alcohol(like I wrote above), reducing anxiety and stress and taking beta blockers if necessary.

Hello Adria,

I had a problem with this about three months ago as well. I went to see my doctor because I was terrified, just like your mom is, I suppose. Anyway, my doctor told me that I have nothing to be scared about and that it will go away on its own. We both agreed that this happened because I was under a lot of stress during those days when I had heart palpitations.

I didn't change my lifestyle, neither did I take any medications and I got better in about one month of time, or even sooner, I'm not sure anymore.

Hello everyone,

Your mom needs to have a time out, Adria. You can help her out by helping her with the things that she has to do, take it on yourself so she can have some time off, go somewhere nice and get rid of all the stress and anxiety, because I believe that this is the problem here.

If you want to further help her, you can take cigarettes from her and ask her to stop drinking coffee. It can help, but focus on making the atmosphere good in a way that nothing can cause any stress to her.

Hi everyone,

My girlfriend had trouble with heart palpitations as well. She is a person that is really easily frightened so when it started happening, she got so scared that it further increased the frequency of her heart palpitations. We sat together one night and went online to see what does the internet have to say about this.

We found out that stress is the main trigger of these things and we easily connected this to her heart palpitations because she is stressing out about almost everything. She promised me and herself that she is going to stop stressing about things and she made it happen, she is okay now.

Hello. Well there are actually a couple of ways how to prevent palpitations and those techniques are pretty much effective and successful. What do you think about the idea of changing your everyday menu? Well, you should and you should base your food to potassium, sodium, calcium, magnesium, etc. I am sure that soon you will be able to see the results. If you don’t believe in this, I am sure that very simple blood test will tell you that you are getting better and you will evidence that this is good. The balanced way of eating is one of the best way. 

Hey there. Well I know about two usual triggers for heart palpitations. If you feel that your heart is racing like crazy than you could be in a panic attack. Sweating or shaking are also very common symptoms. Generally, panic attacks are not so dangerous but they are scary. Also, even if I am huge coffee lover I need to tell you that one of the most usual trigger for heart palpitation is caffeine. Caffeine is a stimulant and this means that it stimulates the autonomic nervous system which also can cause an increase in palpitations. I think that there are so many of them, but I don’t know exactly what they are.

Good day everyone.

Well it is well known that usual lifestyle triggers are the main cause of heart palpitations. Medications are also the cause of it, less commonly – true but palpitations can be a side – effects of some types of medicine such as asthma inhalers. Even the tablets for a thyroid problems are the reason. So in this case you should definitely speak with your doctor if you believe that medications are the reasons that you are having problems with palpitations. Don’t stop the treatment if you didn’t consult your doctor about this. I hope that she is going to be ok. Have a nice day.

Hello everyone. Since I am a new member and I don’t have that much experience with it, I can tell you what I have heard and what I was reading about this.

Yes, often cause of heart palpitations can not be found but the common causes or triggers are:

• emotional response that is strong,
  • anxiety,
  • nicotine,
  • fever,
  • hormone changes,
  • taking medication,
  • Taking stimulant etc.

But you should also know that heart palpitations can also be a sign of very serious problem. It can be caused by overactive thyroid gland or abnormal heart rhythm.

Control that!

I wish you all the best!