I am 49 years old and probably perimenopausal. I have a problem with sugar. I always crave candy or chocolate before my period. It seems I can't control this. I this part of menopause? How can I stop this. I know this is not good for me.

Hi! I am in my mid twenties and I also go crazy for chocolate around my periods.
They gave me such feelings of joy that I could actually link with a feeling of orgasm honestly. Not every chocolate though.

I did a bit of reading and I found out that chocolate has over 300 chemicals that could actually stimulate cravings. Beside this, chocolate stimulates the release of endorphins and serotonin, chemicals in the brain that makes us happy and relieve pain.

When I am not in PMS, I can resist it but when I get my period, I think of chocolate as of my reward and I just indulge myself with no guilt. What about you? How does all of this make you feel?

Like an addiction. So, I reckon it has nothing to do with menopause.
I read that during periods, women tend to lose iron and magnesium that contribute to tension, so excessive serotonin that chocolate may give us is just the thing we need.

To stop this, you need to be mentally strong and just say no. There is no other way. You could help your body by eating healthy food that reduce cravings and contain iron like meat, fish, eggs and chicken. When the craving appear you may take fruits or low-fat frozen yogurt.

I hope this was helpful.

I HAD NOTICED SINCE I WAS YOUNGER THAT I WOULD CRAVE SWEETS BEFORE MY PERIOD. WHEN I WAS IN MY LATE 20`S I WAS PLACED ON ANTIDEPRESSANTS FROM THAT TIME ON I HAVE HAD PROBLEMS WITH SUGAR CRAVINGS DAYLY. NOW I AM PERIMENOPAUSAL AND MY WEIGHT HAS JUST BLOOMED FROM 145 TO 185 IN A YEAR. I WAS DX WITH MILD HYPOTHYROIDISM AND STARTED ON LEVOTHYROID. I NOW FEEL THAT I AM INSULIN RESISTANT AND FEEL THAT IS DO TO LONG TERM USE OF ANTIDEPRESSANTS. THE PROBLEM IS, EVERYONE JUST HEEHAWS AROUND THE FACT THAT ANTIDEPRESSANTS CAUSE THIS CRAVEING FOR SWEETS AND NOW WE HAVE SO MANY CASES OF DIABETES CROPPING UP. I HAVE NO FAMILY HX OF DIABETES BUT IF SOME ONE DOES NOT TAKE A HONEST LOOK AT THIS PROBLEM WE ARE GOING TO CONTINUE TO GROW FAT CHILDREN AND POOR HEALTH. I CAN NOT EVEN FIND INFO ON SWEET CRAVINGS AS SIDE EFFECTS OF USE. COULD SOMEONE PLEASE HELP WE FIND THE TRUTH AND WHY THIS HAPPENS WITH ANTIDEPRESSANT USE.