I eat even when I'm not hungry! It's like I'm addicted! I need to lose about 75 lbs and it just seems so hopeless!

It's not hopeless - it just feels SO daunting!!! I do the same thing - but mine is from boredom and depression! I get SO depressed about how I look ALL I want is a box of Turtles and Rees's Peanut Butter Cups!!! It IS an addiction! I have been addicted to pain killers - got off of those with a lot of hard work! Lost 15 lbs here or there, put it back on of course, then I get on the scales and think "HOW THE HELL Can I do this?!" It just seems so "hopeless!" You know why? Because the number sounds UNBELIEVABLE! It doesn't soune doable at ALL! So what I have told myself IS this, "I'm not going to loose weight I am going to gain health!" You and I both already know how to loose weight, take in less than we use! So instead of the number - which feels SO DAUNTING! Think about just being healthy - we both know what that means right?! It just sounds easier doesn't it!? If you and I both said "Ok today I'm going to eat chicken and a salad and tommorrow etc etc" And then ONCE in AWHILE weigh ourselves - instead of 1 week! I think we will both be so surprised! IF you need another boost you NEED to see "FOOD INC!!!!" It will CHANGE YOUR LIFE!!!!! So lets both of us look at this new year differently OK? Good luck and hugs!

Thanks Bambi. It helps to know there are others like me out there. I will look at the website, I promise. But... the thing is that at times I wonder if I have some kind of chemical imbalance going on. I mean, I don't think I eat out of frustration or depression... I don't even think it is boredom. I really think it feels like an addiction. I don't eat when I am hungry... I eat when I am no longer full. Even full doesn't stop me all the time. I want something sweet, then salty, then crunchy, etc. ad infinitum. It's like a craving for something that I can't quite satisfy but I keep trying!

I notice from your monica that you are a mom! Is that right? I can honestly swear when my children were younger that I never ate a meal! I used to make them their lunches, their snacks, their dinners etc and I would just snack away - never making myself a technical plate, just ate as much picking here and there! And I'm sure you do the same! I am not saying that you don't have a problem, but food issues run deep! We need food to survive yet we can't go without it! So what to do!? NOW if you are NEVER full and just keep eating and eating there are VERY RARE syndromes for that, but the rest are Over Eating Syndrome, we eat and eat for no apparant reason! I think you are just an Over Eater - there are even societies that can help Over Eaters - Over Eaters Anonymous is one of them! Just like Alcoholics and Drug addicts, you are ADDICTED to eating! This is what it sounds like! And the only way to get "healthy" is for you to find out "WHY!" you eat like that! I know why I eat as I stated before, but if you aren't bored or depressed etc, then there has to be another reason for the non stop eating! More times then not it is something from our lives - such as feelings of inadecuacy or being unloved or even MAJOR problems such as sexual, emotional, mental abuse! Food seciates our senses, aka "COMFORT food!" We have fond memories of certain times in our lives and more times than not, they are around food eg. Family reunions, Christmas dinner, birthday parties etc. And chemical analysis has shown that chocolate gives the same pleasure to women as making love! So there is that orimal connection to food that we have to mull through and decide when and WHY we changed it from need to surviving and just a NEED!

So if you feel like you could be an overeater then ask for help! Maybe these people and counsellors can help you get to to the bottom of it all! Good luck and health!

Hi JoeysMom...
OMG I can totally relate to how you feel about food! I was there... just always seemed to crave something and really enjoyed good food! I want you to do something for me... Try the R&D Diet Cookie. I think you and I are very much alike and this program changed my life and relationship with food. I lost 50 lbs using their program. Don't get me wrong, I still enjoy food... I just enjoy it weighing 50 lbs less! I want you to send me a personal msg and I will give you my phone number because I want you to be able to call me with any questions/concerns/funny stories about being on the cookie diet. I want you to order 1 week of the cookies and try them. I will go so far as to promise you that if the R&D Cookies don't get you off this roller coaster ride you are experiencing with food... I will pay you the money you spent (for one week of cookies). That is how much I believe in them.
I don't think I can put a link to their website here but you can google "R&D Diet Cookie" and they should come up. If not... send me a msg and I will send you the link.
The program is simple... you eat only the cookies during the day and a dinner. While on the cookies you are satisfied and not hungry and best is you don't crave anything! Bottom line is that it is a very low calorie diet so you lose the weight fast. And yes, it stays off because I learned how to break that "addictive" hold food has on me. I've kept the weight off for almost 2 years now.
BTW... cranberry is my favorite!