It's a long story, but I'll try to be brief.

I have suffered with lower back pain for more than 5 years. I don't know why or when it really started. I am a healthy, active, athletic 44-year-old man.

I had a disc fusion surgery at L5-S1 on 2/12/08. Prior to the surgery, I tried everything - chiropractic care, acupuncture, physical therapy, massage therarpy, epidural steroid injections, trigger point injections, IMS, myobloc, etc. None of this helped to any degree, so I went ahead and had the surgery. The surgery was somewhat successful. The surgery got rid of the pain that was radiating down the backs of my legs. However, during the surgery, my surgeon said he could see the muscle spasms traveling up and down the full length of my spine. I got out of surgery and was in agony. So, they put me on Morphine and moved me to ICU for 6 days. I have had back spasms ever since and it was almost 8 months ago. The pain runs across the width of my lower back and into my hips and down the side of my leg and stops at the knee. I have had many of the same procedures done as I had prior to the surgery and nothing is helping the pain. Any ideas or has anyone experienced the same thing? I would appreciate any direction or experiences you'd like to share. I have an appointment next week for a second opinion. I had a second post-surgical MRI and my surgeon said it was normal. However, after reading the Radiologists report, it talks about a protrusion on the left side, joint disease, and annular tears. Hardly sounds normal, but I'm not a doctor.