Hello. I’m a healthy 40 years old male person. Two years ago, while I was doing some corrections on my house roof, I fell down from it. I broke my right leg and twisted right wrist ankle. After two month of recovery – everything healed just fine and I don’t have any problems with it anymore. For months ago I started to feel pain in my lower back, lumbal region. I went on some physical examinations and doctor said that he is sure that I don’t suffer from herniated disc, which is the most often case. He mentioned that cause of my pains could be something like annular tear and scheduled me for detailed examination in two months from now. What is annular tear? Is this mean that I need an operation? Any help is most welcome!

Yes, the herniated disc is very often cause of pains after injury you had. But it is easy to diagnose and your doctor certainly didn’t make mistake. Annular tear is very rear but it might be the cause of your problems. Let me tell you some things about normal disc. Normal vertebra is made of hard part in the outside called annulus fibrosus and more soft disc inside called nucleus pulposus. This internal part is filled with specific liquid which role is to prevent rubbing of two discs. Annular tear is internal disruption of the disc and this, sometimes very small, lesion aloud the irritating liquid material, normally restricted to the center of the disc, to come into contact with surrounding tissue causing compression of neurons and pain. In this case surgery is necessary. Frequently offered operative treatment for this situation is anterior interbody fusion after which you will fully recover. Good luck!

I have been diagnosed with an annular tear. I have had three series of epidural injections for the pain, over this year. I am having the most sever muscle spasms I have ever had currently and pain that is horrible, all in lower back. I am schedule for the fourth epidural tomorrow, will this ever be cured? What would be my next step to never go through this again.
thanks
irene

I'm somewhat disturbed at the post that insisted that anterior body fusion surgery for an annular tear was the best option and that the person would be fine after that.
Anytime you have back surgery you are never the same and in 99% of the cases you will not be fine.
Annular tears are the disruption of the outer covering of the disc itself. These are best diagnosed by a CT discography where dye is injected in the nucleos and then a CT taken to check for leakage of the dye out of the center of the disc.
If this indeed is the result, there are many options before surgery. Sometimes active therapy can help heal the disc. If that doesn't help, a new procedure called IDET (Intradiscal Electrothermal treatment) where a needle with a special tip on it is inserted into the damaged area and then the tip is heated to congeal the proteins in the area and contract them, similar to frying bacon and it shrinks down.
Please check with your doctor or back specialist before making any decisions about surgery!!!

I'm somewhat disturbed at the post by Zambito that insisted that anterior body fusion surgery for an annular tear was the best option and that the person would be fine after that.

I have been diagnosed with an annular tear and protruding disc as a result of a fall. I was put on so many meds and none seem to help with this radiating burning pain in mainly my right, sometimes left leg. Please someone tell me...what do I do now? I have been to a neurosurgeon and an orthopedic surgeon who can't give me an idea of how long this will last. I have heard indefinite amount of time over and over. I used to be very active and this is killing me. Not just physically, but mentally. I am tired of constant pain. I can not afford many more tests and expensive procedures to remedy this. What are my options? Has anyone here had a recovery from this?

After very little help from my GP and chiropractor, and after a lot of research on the internet, I'm pretty sure I had an annular tear. I did get better. It's been over two months, and just now I am getting feeling back in my lower leg (along the knee and inside of my leg below the knee). When this first happened, I did nothing but bend over to reach a shampoo bottle in the shower. I couldn't walk hardly at all for two days, and the pain was constant -- sitting down was the worst, but it really didn't matter what position I sat in or stood in. It was nothing like any back pain I've ever experienced before.

The first doc I saw said nothing but "lose weight and exercise, this happened because you're fat." (I weigh 210, I'm 5'8".) The second doc was more sympathetic, and he ordered an MRI which showed nothing remarkable -- bulging discs and DDD, which apparently nearly everyone has. Judging from the lack of herniation and the complete loss of reflexes, numbness, muscle spasms and excruciating pain from my lower back to below my knee, I am guessing the disc leaked out this noxious fluid that pretty much killed my sciatic nerve for a while. I couldn't drive without terrible pain for over a month, and even lying down hurt. But I did get better. Slowly. I bought an inversion table, and I don't know if it's really helped or not, but it sure doesn't seem to hurt -- got it off Craig's list for $50. I also took loads and loads of codiene, as that was the only thing that even remotely made a dent in the pain. And I took as much pressure off my back as I could, making every effort NOT to sit forward in my chair, and not to sit too long at all if I could help it.

So that's my story; hope it helps someone else. I feel for you!

I have two discs with annular tears; L2 and L4 with a small herniation in L4 as well. They have been a source of pain for years. I have been told by doctors and surgeons for 8 years that there is NOTHING they can do. I have pain down my leg and now the pain has started to come around the front of my right leg and I am having severe spasm from my groin to my outer hip.
I also have a herniated disc in my neck.
The doctor's answer has been to send me to pain clinics and keep me on pain pills so that I can go to work. I do work many hours a day in my own business.
IS THERE HELP when the discs are so close to each other????

Reading every ones post I had to post a reply. In 99 I hurt my back while serving in the Marine Corps. I had a bulging disk at L5 S1, severe back pain and leg pain. I had 2 steroid shots in the disk, that did not work. In 2002 I had surgery to remove the bulge area about the size of a knuckle.

For a year I was fine, then one day I sneezed, and my pain started all over again. So here it is 2008 I am still living with pain. After an MRI last year an annular tear was found, a small bulge in the L4 L5 disk and the tear was in the L5 S1 area. Now my condition is called Degenerative Disk Disease. My doctors tell me it is a domino effect.

Has surgery been offered again no, would I take it, yes. The year I had no pain was awesome. Now Every month I am offered drugs to deal with the pain. I have gone through physical therapy, chiropractor, every med possible, and nothing helps. Is there hope for us I pray there is, but so far my future is pain... So to you all, dont give up...

Hi there all,
I have had extreme back pain for the past four months, sitting and sometimes standing was excruciating painful. Went for physio, acupuncture, chiropractor, heat treatment etc. Am going for a back operation to release the pinched nerve between disk L4 & L5. Will let you know how things are going.

I have had sever lumbar and leg pain on my left side for over 4 months. I tried PT, steriods , IDD, accupunture and Vicodin. My MRI actually revealed my L4-5 bulge of 4 mm was smaller then the MRI 2 years ago.
I am now scheduled to see a pain management doctor for a consult and possible Epidural Cortisone Injections. The MI also suggested an annular tear of the l4-5 disk. My question is- will the annular tear get better on its own? Is it possible the fluid that is leaking from the disk is irritating the nerve more then the Bulge? I'm just looking for input from other who may have experienced this. Did most find the injections helpful? I've heard this has mixed results.
What about bed rest? did this help?

For over the last 5 years I have been suffering with lower back pain (I am only 23), doctor after doctor, treatment after treatment. I had an MRI 2 years ago showing that I have a disc herniation, and disc degenerative disease. The doctor kept telling me that it would get better on its own and years later I am in the worst pain... I don't remember the last time I was comfortable and pain free. I am in the military and it is extremely frustrating not to be able to do the things everyone else can or that I used to be able to do. But this time I went to the doctor again (this time with a different doctor) and they took another look at my MRI and mentioned that I had an annular tear, the same test results from 2 years ago and no one bothered to mention it or suspect that to be the problem! Now I have to go in for a discogram and was told that if the test was positive I would need surgery!! Whatever happened to the pain going away on its own!? Now I need surgery and they wait 5 years to figure it out! Will the surgery be worth it? Its been 5 years already... what I would do to be pain free again.

I AM 30 YEARS OLD AND WAS INVOLVED IN A MVA ABOUT 13 YEARS AGO. I NOW HAVE L3-4, L4-5 AND L5-S1 WITH DISC BULDGE AND AN ANNULAR TEAR AT L5-S1. I HAVE SEVERE PAIN ON MY RIGHT SIDE, LEG , HIP AND FOOT. MORE RECENTLY I STARTED HAVEING BURING PAIN ROTATE TO THE INNER THIGH AND GROIN AREA WITH SOME RADIATING PAIN DOWN THE LEFT LEG BUT THE RIGHT SIDE IS WAY WORSE. BEEN TAKING MEDS, THERAPY,...SAW A NEURO SAID TO DO THE DISCOGRAM AND WILL POSSIBLY NEED SURGERY...NOT SURE IF I WANT TO TAKE SUCH HUGE RISKS...IS THERE ANY OTHER ALTERNATIVES OUT THERE???

There are different approaches to physical therapy. Finding a physical therapist who specializes in an approach called Dynamic Neuromuscular Stabilization can often help. Pavel Kolar from the Czech Republic developed the approach. It is more widely known and used in Europe. However there are a handful of PT's who have been studying and practicing the approach in the U.S. Rather than just giving you exercises, it focuses on re-educating the way your brain tells your body to stabilize your back and to move. Often what perpetuates low back pain and problems is constant overloading of the already damaged structures due to the way your brain is telling your muscles to work. You end up using incorrect muscles to stabilize your spine. This cannot be resolved with exercise alone. It takes specific evaluation and re-training of the brain to teach you the correct way.

Well, my story is more complicated.. I have had ruptured disk 27 yrs ago and had a laminetomy. I did great and was back to normal for 10 yrs working out at the gym, swimming and playing tennis like there was never anything wrong with me. No one ever believed that I had surgery. 10 yrs later the same thing happened to me again on L5 S1 and had the same surgery again... I did ok for almost 16 yrs and then I started getting bad pains on my lower back also pains in my legs and thigh, walking, standing and sitting were a severe problem with me.. I tried everything. Physical therapy, 3 injections with 2 wks apart on my lower back and nothing helped.
I found out after testing that I had a herniated disk, spinal stenosis and Spondylosthesis. I ended up having a spinal fusion a year ago and I'm feeling much better but by no way back to normal... I can't go back and play tennis.. it's very aggressive on my back.. I tried it and decided to do it only once in a while not like I used to do it before..
Right now I'm having problems in my Therasic area and I just had an MRI which showed an annular tear/without spinal stenosis an more clinical correlation is needed..
So, for all of you there's help and am sure surgery can help you.. if your dr isn't helping you or you're not convinced of what he or she's telling you just go seek a 2nd or 3rd opinion..

Best of luck to you all. :-D