Hi! I am one of the people who experience daily panic attacks. I all the time have fear of having panic attack. The experience of panic attack is uncomfortable, but much worse is fear when will panic attack happen. Tell me something about anticipatory anxiety. How to cope with anticipatory anxiety?

Hi! The fear of having a panic attack is called anticipatory anxiety. Anticipatory anxiety can be even more disabling than a panic attack itself. People with panic and anxiety must often kick start their own parasympathetic responses. Ways to do this include:
Deep breathing, Consciously relaxes your muscles, eat or drink something! Do something that your body will interpret as a signal that danger has passed. Get into the bath; even engage in physical intimacy if possible...
You can use the same strategies to combat anticipatory anxiety that you may use during a panic attack. Using the above strategies, will help you regain control again. Good luck!

I have suffer from this since my dad died 13 years ago. Keep trying different things. I take xanax and celexa. I mainly have anticipatory anxiety now. Yesterday I almost had a full blown attack because I took some hydrocodone for back pain. It almost sent me over the edge. I figured that out today it was the hydrocodone. I keep wold water with me at all times. I can only drive in my familiar places (my safe plaes). People who have never had one can't quite grasps what's happening.

**edited by moderator ** e-mails not allowed **

Celebrity
neier wrote:

Neier is exactly right but I would go one step further. The key to alleviating my panic and anxiety was interrupting the fear cycle before it took hold by catching the thinking errors that cause the anxiety (anticipatory anxiety included) and countering those thoughts in a tea form. The book we used by Sam Obitz is the one I recommend start doing the tea form exercise and you will learn how keep from going into a panic cycle over irrational thoughts and physical symptoms that are not dangerous. Once you learn how to train your brain to interupt the panic cycle your symptoms will disappear.

HI I AM NEW HERE I HAVE HAD PANICK FOR 3 YEARS AND AGRAPHOBIA FOR 2 PLUS NOW IT IS HORRIFFIC, WHAT IS TROUBLING ME IS THAT I HAVE STARTED BABY STEPS AND ALL WAS GOING WELL I MADE THE CORNER SHOP, ROUND THE ESTATE IN MY CAR (MY SAFE PLACES) AND SMALL WALKS AROUND THE BLOCK NOW I UNDERSTAND REPETION IS THE KEY BUT FOR ME I HAVE DONE THE SHOP NEARLY 100 TIMES NOW AND IT HAS NEVER GOT ANY BETTER IN FACT THE PAST 2 DAYS THE FEAR HAS BEEN UNBEARABLE THAT I HAVE JUST TURNED BACK, AND MY SYMPTOMS SEEM TO CHANGE NOW MY CHEST FEELS LIKE IM HAVING A HEART ATTACK THE PAIN AND TIGHTNESS WHICH HAS NOT BEEN ONE OF MY SYMPTOMS. IT JUST SEEMS THAT WHEN I SEEM TO REACH PROGRESS IT THEN TAKES ON A DIFFERENT FORM AND I AM BACK TO SQUARE ONE. I AM LOSING FAITH BADLY

I am really glad I found this site. I am a 25 year old male and have had daily panic attacks and agoraphobia for the last year. Every day I have around 4 to 5 panic attacks and the rest of the day is a constant level of anxiety. I have already lost one job over this and have been on disability at another. I am currently at a new job but find it harder and harder to make it through a day. My friends and family don't understand, they say I need to get 'tough' it won't kill you. No one really knows what this feels like unless you deal with it. I don't really have a question, I just wanted to vent and was happy (in a strange way) to know that I am not alone through all of this.

Celebrity
Pink, the exposure attempts are great but will probably never succeed unless you couple them with countering the thoughts that are at the core of the problem in a tea form. You need to eliminate the thinking errors that cause the panic and all the symptoms that grow from it if you want lasting success. It does work if you work at it. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Hi thanks for that you said You need to eliminate the thinking errors how do i even begin this are there aby tips and yes this makes great sence and its what i need so thanks ps

welcome guest sorry there is no username please keep writing as it helps me and so will you to talk and share experience

having a bad day today especially hard as i have had such a good week

please keep writing im exactly the same as you and teamwork is good x

Celebrity
Hey Pink I hope you are doing better. I'm sorry I never responded but apparently I have not been getting a lot of the post notifications I was supposed to be getting 8-| I hope you have been able to start successfully countering your thoughts and you are making much progress :-D

thinking errors! what does that mean? obviously if people could control their thinking errors, they wouldn't have a mental health problem. Thinking errors, give me a break. Cognitive therapy is for the birds. "Oh i feel like i'm going to die, wait a second, that's not rational." There you go problem solved. PLEASE

Celebrity
Guest you are clearly a hater. What good does making fun of the most successful and proven technique (CBT) for treating anxiety disorders accomplish?
Why don't you come back and offer suggestions that help people instead?
Your example at the end was excellent btw, because feelings are not facts and you did not die, so your irrational thought was what was making you anxious not any physical cause.

I used to have multiple daily panic attacks, too. It took literally years before I was able to get past it. I found that certain locations and topics would trigger the attacks. By avoiding those triggers, I was able to minimize the atacks. Also, my therapist helped me with realistic thinking (I don't know the correct term for this). My thinking about situations were not based on reality but more on my imagined fear. Once I was able to start forcing myself to face things outside of my imagination, I saw improvement.

Cbt is realistic thinking or at least that is what it teaches you to do and when you do the anxiety goes away. The TEA form exercise in the book by Sam Obitz is wonderful and gets you to learn to live in the moment and eliminate anxiety. I feel so much better now thanks to cbt and the tea forms.

Celebrity
LivingWell and Jaylene,

Great posts and I could not have said it any better than you two already have :-D

OMG i tho i was the only one, i have panic attacks every single day,, if someone wanna chat about it let me know