I just took my first dose of Lexapro today (10mg), and am wondering what twice-a-week use of alcohol (2-3 beers) and marijuana will do to my depression treatment.

I want the Lexapro to work, but doubt my willpower to stay off the alcohol and weed.

I have been on anti-depressants before (Cymbalta and Welbutrin), and the weed has always been a constant. I told my doctor and therapist that I have been using weed semi-regularly, and haven't been able to stop altogether. After that, we didn't get much further into the conversation.

Will these habits lead to worse depression? Will they nullify the Lexapro? Can someone suggest some resources to help stay off the other recreational drugs and maximize the effects of Lexapro?

Thanks!

All I can tell you is that the marijuana will keep you down. I had the same issues, and kept needing antidepressants. THe fact that you need antidepressants should be telling you something--stay away from depressants! I still have the same issues, so I am one to talk, but I can tell you that the pot is not a crutch anymore--it only kept me down. It took about two weeks to feel "unhooked" but I feel so much better.

Good luck!

A

Actually, in my experience I have found that occasional use of marijuana coupled with my Lexapro prescription led me to an easier state of mind than Lexapro treatment alone.

i was on lexapro for about 4 months. at the time i also smoked marijuana and drank heavily.
your use may not be as heavy, but for me it turned out that the drug use didnt nullify the effects of the lexapro, but rather it complicated them and made me even more depressed.
if you smoke you then you smoke. it's all a personal choice. and maybe it won't affect you in the same way it did me, but being in that situation before, i wouldnt recommend it.

I begin feeling depressed and it seems like lexapro doesn't work as well when smoking weed for me.

At first it was ok because I didn't smoke for a fair while when starting lexapro. Then I started smoking again and at first it was very nice. But after smoking everyday after a few weeks I started feeling really bad again. So I finished what I had and stopped for good.

I don't smoke it anymore and try to not to drink much.

ive been on lexapro for a little over a month. i was smoking marijuana everyday almost 3x a day for a year. after starting on the lexapro, when i would smoke, right after i would feel dizzy, i couldnt breathe, i felt numbness/tingles all over my body, my heart rate would sky rocket. it really scared me, but i didnt think it was the weed, i thought maybe i was having another panic attack, just more severe

i waited a couple of weeks and tried again..same thing happened. im not sure what is causing this, and i cant seem to find out anything about the two combined. it didnt matter what type of weed i smoked, sativa, indica, mids...it would all have the same effect.
help?!

help?!

the same thing happened to me, and i have no idea why!

MARIJUANA AND ALCOHOL ARE DEPRESSANTS! That's a fact.

I don't understand why people are shooting down ANY antidepressant while they're regulary filling their systems WITH KNOWN DEPRESSANTS!

Antidepressants are meant to work on YOU and YOU ALONE.... NOT YOU while you're high or drunk.

If you seriously want to get better, get rid of the weed. The 2-3 beers can work, but the weed is just ridiculous.

My mom is the poster-child for Lexapro. She was practically a lunatic all her life and we never got along. Now she's happy all the time and a true JOY to be around. We've become best friends and everyone absolutely adores my mother when they meet her now (unlike her pre-lexapro days).

I'm a firm believer in Lexapro after seeing my mom flourish. Of course, had she been drunk or stoned none of the above would've happened.

Say you swallow a Tylenol right now. It's a pain reliever, right? Ok, so now take a hammer and bash your hand. You took a pain reliever so shouldn't that take care of whatever pain you feel after mangling your hand? Same logic goes with antidepressants.
(The above was MY original analogy. It needs to be cited if you repeat it.)

That doesn't make any sence because alcohol and weed are depressents as in they depress your body as in heart rate they don't actually make you depressed mentaly

I just don't understand you guys....

Wtf is wrong with you everyone knows weed is an anti depressant why do u think everyone laughs so much while high. The after effect isn't a depressant either its comparable to an overly calm feel about everything but lexapro restores the body's natural serotonin levels in the brain so if u were to smoke it would just bring u back to normal faster... Dumbass

me too! I was at 135 bpm