Few days ago I went to my pain management doc whom I see for my fibromyalgia and was switched from Norco that I take when even my Lyrica doesn't work he told me that that there has been an exciting new pain killer released just months ago called Nucynta (Tapentadol) which he said is similar to Tramadol. He wanted to try me on 100mg of it "as needed". Does anybody have any personal experience with this medication and what the effects are like? Will I feel drowsy and high? Any other suggestions for fibromyalgia pain relief

Help would be greatlyappreciated :) Thanks

I don't know how much norco you are on but there could be withdrawal symptoms.

nucynta (tapentadol) is an opioid pain medication. An opioid is sometimes called a narcotic.

Nucynta is used to treat moderate to severe pain.

The extended-release form of tapentadol (Nucynta ER) is for around-the-clock treatment of pain that is not controlled by other medicines. It is not for use on an as-needed basis for pain.

Nucynta may also be used for purposes not listed in this medication guide.

Important information

You should not use Nucynta if you have severe breathing problems, or a bowel obstruction called paralytic ileus.

Do not use Nucynta if you have taken an MAO inhibitor in the past 14 days. A dangerous drug interaction could occur. MAO inhibitors include isocarboxazid, linezolid, methylene blue injection, phenelzine, rasagiline, selegiline, and tranylcypromine.

Slideshow: 2014 Update - First Time Brand-to-Generic Switches

2014 Update - First Time Brand-to-Generic Switches

Tapentadol can slow or stop your breathing, especially when you start using this medicine or whenever your dose is changed. Never take this medicine in larger amounts, or for longer than prescribed. Do not crush, break, or open an extended-release pill. Swallow it whole to avoid exposure to a potentially fatal dose.

Tapentadol may be habit-forming, even at regular doses. Take this medicine exactly as prescribed by your doctor. Never share the medicine with another person. MISUSE OF NARCOTIC PAIN MEDICATION CAN CAUSE ADDICTION, OVERDOSE, OR DEATH, especially in a child or other person using the medicine without a prescription.

Tell your doctor if you are pregnant. Nucynta may cause life-threatening addiction and withdrawal symptoms in a newborn.

Do not drink alcohol. Dangerous side effects or death can occur when alcohol is combined with tapentadol.

Before taking this medicine

You should not use Nucynta if you are allergic to tapentadol, or if you have:

•severe asthma or breathing problems; or

•a bowel obstruction called paralytic ileus.

Tapentadol may be habit forming. Never share Nucynta with another person, especially someone with a history of drug abuse or addiction. Keep the medication in a place where others cannot get to it. Selling or giving away Nucynta to any other person is against the law

To make sure this medicine is safe for you, tell your doctor if you have:

•any type of breathing problem or lung disease;

•a history of head injury, brain tumor, or seizures;

•a history of drug abuse, alcohol addiction, or mental illness;

•urination problems;

•liver or kidney disease; or

•problems with your gallbladder, pancreas, or thyroid.

Nucynta is more likely to cause breathing problems in older adults and people who are severely ill, malnourished, or otherwise debilitated.