Hello! I am a student of medicine and I am currently writing a term paper on the subject of ileus. Of course there is a lot to read about it on the internet and in the various books but I think that the best way to gather information is to talk to people who maybe had this condition, or simply know something about it. I am interested in all kinds of information. What are all available tests for diagnosing paralytic ileus? What are causes and what are the usual courses for treatment?

Hello! I think that you should not greatly rely on the information that you gather this way unless you check its truthfulness thoroughly since your paper must be scientifically correct. I have had an ileus few years ago. I first felt abdominal pain, and then I couldn’t go to the toilet for some time and had bad cramps. Eventually I started vomiting too. When I went to the doctor he first felt my stomach with his hands. It was very hard to the touch. He then tried to hear if my intestines give out some sound, but they didn’t since they were not moving at all. He finally sent me to the X-ray and that assured him that it is indeed ileus.

You were lucky! I had similar tests- the doctor felt my stomach and asked me all kinds of questions but instead of the X-ray I had a CT. I also had a small nasogastric tube inserted through my nose to check what is happening inside my stomach and relieve my vomiting. It was a terrible feeling. Since it was a case of ileus, and a very bad case as they said I also had another tube inserted later on in my treatment to relieve all the build up gasses in my intestines. Only this time it was not through my nose. I guess you can guess how uncomfortable that felt.