I have a slipped disc, bone spur, arthritis and a bulging L4-L5 disc and my doctor prescribed me norco 10-325 for my pain.  My job which entitles driving randomly drug tests us from another company and I was wondering if i can get fired for this with a prescription etc.  Honestly i only take them when off work as I know you cant drive on them and they do make you test positive for opiates but what can happen. does the lab contact you etc or can someone help me out please.

Hi Guest,

You really should discuss this with your HR and medical department BEFORE it becomes an issue.

Many companies that require drug testing have already had you sign a waiver.  Therefore, the results go to the company, not to you.  You may not necessarily get fired, it depends on your company policy, but it can cause some grief.

Be proactive here.  Check it out NOW.

Good luck.

No, you can't be fired if you have a legitimate prescription for the medication that shows positive in your urine screen. The day they do the testing you either need to bring in the written script or current prescription bottle at the time of the urine test and show the testing company. Some testing companies may just ask you to give them your pharmacy information so they can check with the pharmacist to verify that you have an active prescription on file. If you do have a legitimate prescription for the drug you test positive for the testing company won't show your employer the results. That's none of their business. The testing company will either pass or fail you. That's all they inform the company of.

Lets say you have a current prescription for Norco and Norco shows up on the test as positive. The testing company will then report to your employer that you passed your urine screen. They won't say the name of the drug if you fail. Your employer or tentative employer will just be told you failed.

One company I worked for even went so far as to do urine screens and hair follicle tests. This way the company could check for any drug use for up to a year or more. They could test as far back as the length of the hair they cut. I think they went back 6 months only in this case. Bald guys with no hair on their heads would have pubic, arm, or leg hairs tested.