I think I am pretty old to have this problem. I suffer from failed back syndrome. I have been on 5 - 30mg ms & and 4 -750mg Vicoden for 15 years. I am at my 8th day of no drugs at almost 70 years old and it is awful. I still feel awful and my back pain is constant. This is my first attempt to stop meds. I should I have mentioned for 3 months I've been sober after drinking beer mostly for years stopped when I reached 4qts a day. I would really appreciate any advise. I have gained strength from many on this site. God Bless All Yesterday

To start off...there is a difference between addiction and dependence. Physical addiction or just addiction is when you no longer can control your usage and take more than the prescribed amount. Physical dependence is when you may be taking medication like opiate painkillers exactly as prescribed, but over a long period of time your body will become dependent upon it and you will experience withdrawal when you do not take any for a period of time. Now my question to you is at 70 and during the course of the 13 years taking the medication, have you always taken them as prescribed or do you eat them like they are candy? Also..what has prompted you to suddenly after all this time stop taking the medication if you still have pain? At 70, stopping that type of medication suddenly can be dangerous and you really should consult your doctor about this ASAP. I will say this...IF you are taking the pain medication EXACTLY as your prescribed then you should not worry about the addiction issue...yes, you may have become physically dependent on it..but you have a chronic pain issue that has to be controlled and if what you have been doing has been working..then what I usually say is "DON'T TRY AND FIX WHAT ISN'T BROKE!!" You may get alot unwanted opinions about taking that type of medication and maybe even being called a drug addict of sorts, but the fact is that your NOT...now keep in mind I say that ONLY if you take them EXACTLY as you have been prescribed to and never take more than you should. I hope I was a little help....I myself have been thru this exact issue and any way you look at it, it isn't at all easy..so I wish you well in whatever you do!

will your doctor prescribe or help you detox?at 57 years old, it was too tough to handle the withdrawal.my prayers go out to you.we have much in common!!e-mail me if you can to discuss your options.

ADDICTION is classified as the physical and psychological DEPENDENCE to ANY substance.dependent is just the nicer term of saying addict, after all, after 15 years of taking any substance, one becomes an addict. that is really splitting hairs (like ...when is a drug.not a drug?? when it's medicine!!LOL) when you get a script, it's medicine...without a script, it's a drug!!!go figure.