I’ve been doing some research into new weight loss medications such as Belviq and Qsymia for my husband who is type 2 diabetic and has started to gain weight again despite having gastric banding done two years ago. He’s not up for another binding surgery, so I’m hoping some of these new medications could be as effective in keeping his weight down.

From what I’ve read, he’d have to take these medications for the rest of his life, but I didn’t quite see differences between them anywhere. Do they work the same way?

it's true that both Belviq and Qsymia re designed to be taken for the rest of your life, but only together with making healthy lifestyle changes that will support the weight loss that these medications can kickstart.

They are not the same chemically, Belviq contains lorcaserin which helps weight loss by making you feel fuller quicker, while Qsymia contains combination of two chemicals, phentermine and topiramate in an extended-release capsule. They work as appetite suppressants.