I’ve been reading a bit about new weight loss medications, Belviq and Qsymia, and I was really glad to hear that neither of these is amphetamine - like as Duromine, even though I was bit disappointed when I read that these new medications are only effective if you take them for the rest of your life.

However, one piece of information I can’t seem to find anywhere is which one of these medications is more effective for weight loss and what are the criteria for choosing one over the other. Any help with this is much appreciated!

since both Belviq and Qsymia are fairly recently approved by the FDA and are not on the market for too long, there are no scientific studies that ultimately compare which one is more efficient for weight loss. The only data we have is from clinical testing studies where it was shown that people who took either Belviq or Qsymia did lose weight, compared to people who were on placebo.

When it comes down to choosing one over the other, perhaps the best guide would be comparing their side effects. Also, you need to take into account that you have to use birth control during the time you're on these medications.