Hello! My brother came back from his tonsillectomy five days ago. He has been resting in his bed, drinking fluid, eating liquid food, spitting and taking antibiotics and pain relievers. The first three days were the worst. He was in terrible pain. Since yesterday he has felt some improvement. But, he often feels neck muscle spasms. I don’t know if this is common after tonsillectomy.

Hello! Pain is the most significant obstacle in the rehabilitation of patients following tonsillectomy. It is most intensive in the first few days after the surgery. Post-operative neck complaints are not uncommon. Sometimes the neck spasms and pain are caused by irregular position of the patient’s head. Try to make his position more comfortable by elevating his head with two or three pillows. Of course if neck muscle spasms, pain or neck stiffness persist you should call your brother’s doctor.

I am trying to find out why I am having severe pain in my neck, shoulder, back and chest muscles after having a tonsillectomy and removal of my uvila. I only have the severe pain in the evening and through the night. I have been to my doctor many times but they have not been able to help me figure out why I have the pain or make it go away. This started after the surgery. I am 57 years old. I did not have this pain before surgery.

Can this pain be related to my surgery? The surgery was in October and I have been going through this for 4 months. I need to know what kind of doctor I should go see.