Hello! My brother is back from his anal fissures surgery today. He really had many problems with defecation. He felt extreme pain and I hope his problems are over. I would like to know more about post operative care since I know post operative care is very important. His doctor gave us some information but I would like to know more since I don’t know anyone who had the named surgery.

Hello! Since the cause of anal fissures is usually hard dry bowel the nutrition is important part of post operative care of anal fissures. He will improve his bowel habits with high fiber diet, stool softeners and plenty of fluids. Spicy food, coffee and alcohol should be avoided. He should wash himself with soap and water after each bowel movement and then dry the area. He should take a shower at least twice a day and let the water from shower gets to the wound. Complete healing occurs in a few weeks, although pain often disappears after a few days.