i am 17 years of age and i am suffering from chest pains and have been for about 2 years now.I Went to see my GP when this was happening in the past and they said that it was because i was doing a lot of sport and it was just muscular so i just tryed to ignore it. But now i dont do hardly any sport and the pains have gotten worse and are happening more frequently so i went back to my GP and had an ECG and a chest xray which turned out to be perfectly normal for a male of my age. He came to the conclusion that it was muscle spasms in my chest.

I'm a bit unsure of what this is and what i can do to help prevent this in the future even tho i do get about 1 or 2 of these pains a day.

If anyone has any ideas of what i can do then please reply, i would really appreciate it

Many Thanks

Hi Dude,

Even I suffer from the same problem. I kept going to doctors and they kept telling me that nothing is wrong with your heart. However, I kept on pursuing the investigation and went to a cardiologist and he did ultrasound i.e. echocardiogram and I was diagnosed with mitral valve prolapse. Its trace prolapse and not at all dangerous but gives me bad pain and weird sensation in chest and breatlessness. I don't have to worry abt it but just accept thats its going to be there. Ask your GP abt this. My heart prolapse was not audible thru' the stethscope so my GP could not diagnose it. So they can miss something even if they tell you that you are all right.

I have had problems with muscle spasms for about 3 years now starting with a major one in my chest. It was a muscle that surrounded my lung and therefore made it really difficult to breath. Gradually these have been getting worse and can just happen even when I'm half asleep in bed.

I too had an ECG etc and I do trust that its not my heart. They tell me there is nothing that can be done but I'm still pushing as it can have me bed ridden for weeks which means time off work.

I've tried Diclefenic which makes me sick. Diazapm which knocks me out and Codine which knocks me out. Yesterday I started a new drug, Naproxen which might make me sick but so far so good. Ive been told so many things will cure me but it doesn't work. Tonic Water, bananas, soap at the end of the bed. Guess it depends on the reason why you're cramping.

Anyway good luck in your search

I also get muscle spasms in my chest... i suffer from Gastro Oesophageal Reflux Disorder which is what the doctors blame it on... however.. i don't believe there are any food pipes that reside under the collar bone and left armpit..!!

i've had 4 resting ECG's and i'm told that it's definitely not my heart but these muscle spasms are getting worse and it's really affecting the way i live.. however i do believe that they are related to anxiety and stress.. and even if you don't feel anxious chances are you are.

Anxiety and digestive disorders are the number one cause of chest pain, difficulty breathing, loss of appetite and muscle spasms... i can't take medication due to my reflux disorder (it makes me very sick) so i'll keep pursuing it with my GP

keep on to your doctor though if you aren't happy!! i know i will until he helps me with this...

my sister also has these chest muscle spasms. They come on all of a sudden and leave the same way. Most of them occur at night. She says the feel like a "charlie horse" cramp in her chest. The pain radiates across the chest and down both arms. She says her arms feel like they weight 30 lbs each. The cardiogist tells her it's not her heart, after a lot of test. Her GP has also done numerous test, and still doesn't know what it is.

I also have chest muscle spasms (I'm 38 yrs old). It will start just below my left collar bone and sometimes radiate down my left arm. It's like someone has "pinched" the muscle and is holding it or a "charlie horse" cramp is also a good description.

I've been to my GP and a cardiologist. The cardiologist tells me that my heart is fine, however, I have an occassional extra heartbeat that's nothing to worry over, and there are no blockages in my arteries. I've had the CT, Ultrasound, Chest Xrays & a nuclear stress stest. So, I'm pretty confident at this point it is not my heart. My cardiologist AND my GP both believe it is musclelorskeletel. I have acid reflux and an anxiety/panic attack disorder and take meds for HBP. So, they think it is a combination of all making the chest muscles spasm. It doesn't happen often, but when it does it is very bothersome and annoying until it goes away. (sometimes lasting an hour, sometimes a day or two) They told me to make sure I take my BP med, acid reflux med and paxil every morning. Then if I start having a spasm, to take tylenol and a Klonopin and relax until the muscle relaxes. Sometimes this works, sometimes it dosen't. As long as it doesn't get any worse, I can deal with this. 8-|

I would stay after your doctor until you can get an answer you can live with and a treatment plan you can deal with. But I know confusion is a terrible way to deal with it and very upsetting to say the least. Good Luck in finding an answer. :-)

I'm sorry to hear that you are suffering from muscle cramps in your chest. I know it's probably terrifying because chest pain is not normal, and it's almost always assumed to be a heart problem. Fortunately, it sounds to me like you've got a diagnosis, but it's not very satisfactory. I appreciate that you're keeping us posted on it though. Thanks for your insight.

I had them very badly and now I get nothing ......the answer for me was Yoga! No kidding I am big into sport def not unfit, my heart is fine as was everything else they tested and I went to Yoga and not a tingle since! It honestly works, try it, stick with it and see the diffrence!

Hi. also 38 yr old female with sometimes debilitating chest muscle spasms and symptoms as described by others. My GP recommended deep inhalation and holding that breath as long as possible. i thought she was nuts cos the pain makes breathing so difficult and deep breaths impossible. however, i have tried it a few times (and nearly passed out from the pain) but strangely it does seem to work. I've only been trying it a week now so still early days but worth a shot.
I guess that's why Yoga (as reported by one of the others) works since it is so much about breathing and controlling your breath. it also means that if it is anxiety/panic related (like some suggest) then deep breaths will help you relax.
either way, for now it works and is worth a try. good luck to other sufferers

;-) Hi everyone i'm 37 and ever since i had a flu jab 3 years ago i have had these chest spasms and stabbing pains.. I get the spasms once or twice a week feels like bubbles bursting and twitching but not painful. The pains are every few weeks but the spasms are frequent. Sometimes i get it strong and it takes over,bit like a fit shall i say. It lasts for about 3 seconds and thats it... I have been to 3 cardiologist the first one said i have an inflamation on the lining of my heart and prescribed ibruprofen to clear the inflamation. The second one said theres is nothing and recent one has now said i have a murmur with a leaking valve..This was diagnosed at the Royal Brompton Hospital in London. I am told it is not life threatning and that alot of women are born with it..i nearly fell of my chair when the doctor told me but he then explained that it is very common and not dangerous. I am now in the process of finding out if it is a functional murmur if it is then no treatment will be needed if not then it would be necessary... i Train everyday with no problems and try to keep my weight down but yes like a lot of people i have had alot of stress , anxiety etc so who knows its probably all down to problems.. Wish everyone well .

Hi, everyone i too am having problems with a muscle sensation in my chest, it happens in a split second and i can even feel it in my neck region,most of the time it happens at night when im just about to fall into a sleep or relaxing on the couch.I have been to the doctors and have a relaxed ecg but everything is ok. i do have high blood pressure and high colesterol but i really dont think these things are contributing to my problem.Maybe i should relax a bit more after reading other peoples experiences on here and hope we all can get to the bottom of whatever is giving us all these very unpleasent spasms, John.

Assuming you have checked out all the dangerous possibilities with your physician, if nothing has helped than try this.

When you feel the pain coming on drink 1 or 2 glasses of water and then put a pinch of salt on your tongue and swallow. Most of the time this will alleviate any further symptoms.

To cut to the chase, google "the water cure." Most people are somewhat dehydrated on a cellular level and water and salt correct this, are powerful correctors of histamine imbalances (asthma and allergies) and as most people know to drink a gatorade during sports to keep from cramping the thought is similar.

Many times the extreme pain and spasms people experience in the chest are actually intercostal muscle spasms which can feel like a heart attack. Do not underestimate water and salt's ability to alleviate even tremendous pain in the body. Best to use sea salt by the way (many more minerals than table salt).

I also suffer from chest pain. I have had all the tests to rule out heart problems and acid reflux, haitus hernian etc. It turned out it is muscle spasms. They can be very intense, last a few seconds and vary in frequency. It happens mostly at night or while at rest. The same as you would get a muscle cramp in your calf..it happens mostly when asleep.
I find what helps is to take a muscle relaxant before bed.
I have Fibromyalgia which affects all muscles and have heard from many other ppl who have it as well that this is very common. Many ppl have gone to the emergency room thinking they were having a heart attack.
It's always good to rule out other problems before accepting that it is just muscle spasm.

I am a 21 year old female... i started having bad chest pains and difficulty breathing about 2 years ago. i too went to the dr. and they blamed it all on stress and tried to give me klonopin or xanax.. which i didn't want. I figured i could work out more or something
turns out, all along i had an overactive thyroid. it heightens anxiety immensely which mine has now turned into full blown panic disorder (i DO manage to treat it without xanax although they wanted me to take it) also i am subject to a thyroid storm which can lead to cardiac arrest, makes me SO nervous. even though i'm on beta blockersnow, which help a ton, i still get all these little twitches and muscle spasms all throughout my chest. especially around the breast and underarm area. Anyone know what it could be??

I had chest pains about 1 year ago. I went to the hospital and to the doctor did ECG, blood, urine, xrays and stress test and every thing came back good. Specialist doing the stress test said probably just a muscle. So I went to a chiropractor. He knew exactly what was wrong and told me to to go to a message therapist. My pec muscle was all tightened up and bound together. I still had full strength tho. He said where it was tight was on a trigger point which would send the pain into my left arm and all across my left chest and into my side. Once I started going to a message therapist it eventually got better but it takes time.