Has anyone gone through laser tonsillectomy? Carbon Dioxide laser? It's supposedly much less painful, but why aren't more people doing it?

Hi
I've heard of it and am due to have it this Thursday. Feeling really nervous as I just can't find much informtion on the subject. My consultant said that it is much less painful post op and certain footballers he's operated on have been fit to go back within 48 hours. However, his secretary said you'll need a good week off work. Still sounds better than the horror stories I've been reading on hear, but I would really love to hear from someone who has actually experiened this method.

I just had this procedure done on 10/3/07 with fantastic results I would have to say. I was eating mushy foods one day post op and on this my 5th day post op I have finally ate real food. Be it only a chef's salad it was amazing to have real food again!

I had this operation done at the VA Hostpital in Pittsburgh, Pa. they have the sergon's from the University of Pittsburgh do all of their head and neck surguries. Top notch docs that cared about you and I guess went out of their way for us veterans knowing most of us have served in combat.

If you have any spacific questions feel free to message me on here and will do my best to answer them for ya. I would suggest the Laser procedure as it has worked out great for me personally.

Hi Armyranger
And thank you for your response. I had my op on the 27th Sept. I am still recuperating at the moment but am much better now. It has taken longer than I expected to recover completely, but I believe that was my consultants slightly over-zealous "selling" of the procedure (which is not uncommon from my experience). He led me to believe that I could be well enough to be back at work 4-5 days after the op, but in fact they were the worst days - and even the post op info warned that they would be likely to be the worst! And he gave me a medical certificate (for work) for two weeks off, so I think it was a little misleading.

However, I'm sure, from what I have read, that this is a far gentler method of having your tonsils removed and would recommend it to anyone as long as they have a good surgeon who is very experiened in using lasers, as it is still a relatively new method.
Sue

I work for a company that has developed a new endoscopic fiber that delivers the CO2 laser beam. We are getting ready to support surgeons on a study for use on tonsillectomies. We are already being used at Boston Medical Center and Tufts Medical Center and Yale and UConn. You could ask your ENT about it...some know about it already and some don't.

Did you have yours done by Dr Dilkes??

Lasers sound cool and exotic, so when surgeons started trying them for procedures like tonsillectomy people got excited. Unfortunately, the larger studies and studies that combine many smaller studies (meta-analyses) have NOT shown any less pain with a laser. One individual may have less pain than another with any technique, but overall lasers are not any better.

What they are is expensive and have a risk of causing a fire or a burn. (Look at a child's death after laser tonsillectomy in May 2009 in Michigan -- maybe a coincidence, maybe not.) Surgeon's aren't dumb -- there's a reason that the large majority of them don't use a laser for removing tonsils anymore.

Guest, thanks for your help and insight into laser tonsil surgery. I was not aware of burning and fire since I know about a lot of laser surgeries going without any sort of issue like that. I think you have a point that there's a reason that a lot of surgeons don't perform the surgery so I guess the traditional route is best. Thanks for your post.

I know that there is a lot of controversy surrounding laser tonsillectomy especially with the death of the Michigan boy. Have you considered laser cryptolysis as an option? The operation takes between 30 - 40 minutes and is done under local anesthesia as supposed to general.

Here is an article about laser tonsillectomy laser tonsillectomy and the different procedure types.

Hi Army Ranger. I know your post is old but can you tell me who did your surgery at the VA. I live in the Pittsburgh area and would like to have a second opinion with regards to my tonsils.

Thanks so much.

Hecticmom

Stop spreading your ignorance and igniting fear in the hearts of suffering people. If you read any of those articles, what happened to that little boy was a very rare risk, and could have presented no matter what method the surgeon used to do the tonsillectomy. There is no risk of burning or fire with a laser tonsillectomy and it is now the most recommended method of performing the surgery, (more so in adults) as it does not remove any muscle tissue, therefore causing less pain, and it does not use any instruments inside the mouth therefore preventing infection, as well as scabbing (that could bleed out) Research your comment before you decide to fear monger people.

Do you know of any doctors that perform this procedure in Nashville tn?

Hi was this done in office while you were awake? Thanks suz

I had co2 laser tonsillectomy 2 days ago as well as nasel surgery. I was afraid of the pain I was going to be in after surgery. But to be honest it was painful 7/8 out of 10 post op but that subsided with meds I was taking. Only took the codeine for 1 day. By day 3 I was eating solid food. I had pancakes and eggs for lunch. I know from what I have been told I will be in more pain tomorrow when the burned skin starts to fall off. But honestly the pain of a sore throat from mono is much worse than the pain of the laser surgery. I would highly recommend this for an adult thinking of having a tonsillectomy.

Hi was this done in office under a local ? Were u awake during this procedure? Has it helped your tonsils ?