Hi, I am a twenty seven years old woman. My job requires me to spend long hours in front of a computer. Because of this, I have noticed some problems. At first it did not bother me that much. But now I am feeling neck spasms that really get on my nerves. I am only guessing that my work has produced them. Therefore, I would like to know what are these neck spasms I am feeling and is there something I could do to avoid them.

Hi, neck spasms are purposeless muscle contractions in the neck. As a result, muscles in the neck become tight, hard and painful. There are several causes that trigger neck spasms. Stress, overuse of neck muscles, improper posture and even uncomfortable night sleep are considered to be the cause of neck spasms. This kind of condition is quite often with people that spend a lot of time using the computer. As you said it yourself, you are one of them. A visit to the doctor should be made so that neck analysis can be performed. You will also get advices about proper therapy. It can include physical therapy, anti-inflammatory medicine and injections. Ice packs, stretching and massage help as well. I also need to say that neck spasms last couple of days and sometimes even couple of weeks. If your pain caused by neck spasms starts to last this long, I am afraid that you will have to stop your activities with the computer.