Hi, my daughter is diagnosed with ADHD, but there is one thing I cannot understand. If she really suffers from this disorder, how can she turn it off in some situations, and then turn it on again later? I thought that kids with ADHD can’t control this.

Hi, my daughter has ADHD, and I noticed the same thing that you described. She can turn it off in certain situations, and then turn it on again later. I thought she was misdiagnosed, so I went to another doctor and told him what happened. He explained me that ADHD can not be turned on and off. Some children with ADHD can focus in some situations, and it all depends on intensity and severity of their ADHD. He told me that my daughter must have coping strategies. I also read something about it, and it seams that different areas of the brain are engaged in certain circumstances. That’s why is the child more calm in certain situations.

My son (8)has ADHD and I see that if he is interested in something he can sit still and pay attention. It has not always been this way however. About 3 months ago I started taking him ice skating. I noticed a slight difference in his behavior from the beginning. I started taking him 5 days a week and he loves it. The benifit of taking him skating and getting him into hockey has been tremendous. His grades have gone up, he sleeps better at night, and he is doing so well in school he is like a brand new kid! I read a site on the internet where teens with ADHD tell about what helped them cope with ADHD, and most said that as soon as they started doing a strenous activity more than 4 days a week for more than an hour at a time they were much better in everyday life. I know many other children that are just like my son... I have had the opprotunity to take these children skating with us and have found that ALL of them do much better in school when they have to be active for at least an hour. Try it it might work for your kiddo too.