Hi everyone,

I got a phone call from my friend yesterday and she told me that her kid was diagnosed with ADHD. This is all she told me, she knew no additional details but if I remember well, there were a few possible types of ADHD but I do not remember which ones were these. Does anyone here know what are the types of ADHD in kids and how can someone treat and overcome this? My friend doesn't have a clue about treating this and I have to admit that I don't think that she is even interested in finding out.

There are three types of ADHD in kids, if I remember well (you can always look it up on the internet or ask the doctor about these). 

The types were inattentive type, hyperactive-impulsive type, and combination type. I don't remember the difference or what each of these mean but if I remember well, the only way to differ one from another was only by observing the symptoms that you are having. 

Cognitive behavioral therapy is the first step in the treatment and it helped a lot of people. The next step, if this one doesn't work, would be treating this with medications.

Since we are talking about a kid here, I suggest that your friend doesn't use any kind of medications for treating her kid. Medications have a big number of side effects and it is okay if adults want to poison themselves with medications, but she shouldn't do it to her kid. There are natural remedies which are likely to help her kid fight with his ADHD. These things include forgo food colorings and preservatives, avoiding potential allergens, trying EEG biofeedback, consider a yoga or tai chi class, spending time outside, and behavioral or parental therapy. These things combined can certainly benefit her kid.

Hi again,

Thanks for your replies, I honestly don't know why am I doing this when I probably won't be able to help this kid anyway, I mean, since his mom isn't too interested about helping him, what could possibly I do? I am sorry, I am just lost because I am feeling so bad because of this boy. Well, I guess I will have to try and talk to her and see what I can do. This isn't really a horrible or a dangerous thing, right, her kid is going to be okay? Please tell me that I am right.

Hello there. When it comes to ADHD, first you need to know that neither one of diagnosis or treatment fits all, so it is a bit hard to say which treatment is the best. Look, everyone is different and I am sure that your doctor will tell you the same. I know that according to some association, they identified three types of ADHD and each of those types has different symptoms, and treatments are based on those symptoms. I remember that brother of my good friend had some symptoms such are making silly mistakes, he was not paying attention to the details , he was forgetting things very soon and some more symptoms. When he went so see his doctor, he was diagnosed with an Inattentive Type of ADHD.

Hello everyone.

Like others already told you, there are three types in kids, and I don't think that I am the one who should repeat it. The most important thing is to recognize the symptoms in every of those three types. If I remember correctly there are so many symptoms that can occur and for every type of ADHD in kids, symptoms are totally different. 

Anyway, if you suspect for some reason that your kid has this, you should find the list of the symptoms. Also, you need to know that if kid has at least six of nine possible (I think that there is nine of them) symptoms, than the kid has ADHD.

Hi. My kid, Lana (she is 13 years old) has hyperactive - impulsive type of ADHD. Hannah, you are right. For every type of ADHD there are nine possible symptoms. Well, in my case, my Lana had seven of them. She was getting up very often from the place where she was sitting, no matter where we are - in our home, or in the bus - she just needed to get up. Also, she was running occasionally for no reason, even if we didn't have to be somewhere on precise time. She was talking to much, she was interrupting everyone while we were talking and two more symptoms that I can't remember. It was weird for me because she was very nice and normal girl, and than she started to act like crazy. So my husband decided to take her to the doctor, and than we found out that she is dealing with ADHD.

Hey dear mom. I have heard about this type, I just forgot about it. Silly me, because one kid from my neighborhood is having this type of ADHD as well and recently I was talking to his parents about it as well. Well, what is the treatment in Lana's case?

I remember that my neighbors were telling me that they didn't want to give drugs to their kid, but in the end they had to. Stimulant drugs, to be precise. I think that those drugs will calm kids down. If I remember well, they were giving a Focalin to him. 

Hi Hannah! Yes, I have heard about this drug, but I think that somebody already wrote in here that every type of treatment could be different because every kid is different. It is very hard because once your child is diagnosed with this type of ADHD, the next step is to treat it, of course, before it is too late. Anyway, like I already told you, every child’s treatment plan can be different and it is usually different. Well, sometimes it takes trying a few things to find the right one. My Lana tried Dextroamphetamine / amphetamine (Adderall) capsules and those capsules were good for her. She is using them now for a couple of months and I think that she is getting better.