I have arthritis in big toe and doctor recommends surgery for toe to be corrected with fusion. I would like to know what exactly the fusion is, since we didn’t have the chance yet to talk things through… I am meeting him next week again and would like to be informed little bit more.

Here is very little info on what I am familiar with; Fusion is the most reliable procedure for correction of the deformity of the big toe. Fusion concerns the fusion of the joint. Meaning it straightens the toe, provides a permanent correction to the deformity and prevents any recurrent deformity or pain from arthritis.

I have no doubt your doctor is giving you good advise and information. However you should get a second opinion. Any surgery has risks. Make sure you have exhausted all other avenues first. Good luck.

I had big toe joint fusion 6 weeks ago after first trying a joint replacement that didn't work. I have hot to say the pain this time is much worse than expected especially as they had to take some bone from my hip to make the fusion successful. I can at this stage say hand on heart I wish I had left my toes alone and just kept taking the pain killers for arthritis . I would saying to anyone thinking of taking the step into surgery o ask themselves is the arthritis that bad that you think surgery is the only answer. The pain after surgery is very traumatic severely debilitating and just goes on for ever. I have suffered now for over years after surgery and I can only hope that this awful pain in my hip and toe will go in time. Has anyone had the same problems?