I have read EVERY one of these stories, I should say a little scary.  I have seen a ortho Doc for years I have had issues with my feet, knees, back and neck in 2007 I had a cervical fussion inmy neck.  I have went through physical therapy for years off and on.  I was dx with planter flisaitis (sorry not sure how to spell that) in 2006.  I am a 43 yr old very very active person I work out in a gym 6 days a week sometimes 2 times a day, i treadmill, stationary bike, row machine, free weights, weight machines, water areobics and toning classes.  I have been having  a lot of trouble with my left foot feeling like my toe is locking up on me as a women I simply deal with it and go on however this has progressivly gotton worse causing me to walk on the side of y foot my hip is killing me and may walking is getting harder, my toe locked up on me on a monday a work i just could not take it anymore picked up the phone called a podoitrist, when i went in to see him he immeadilty said "you have NO range of motion in this left toe" he did a ultrasound and there was a exteremly huge bone spur in my joint, he told me to tell me steriod injections would help would only be misleading me and a waste of my time that for the size of this bone spur surgery is the only way to correct this, i explained to him how active I am and I intended to be this way until i am to old to move, he understood and did tell me recovery is a slow process for this surgery, he wanted to schedule me in the next 2 weeks, i explained to him I was scheduled to have a full hysterectomy June 25, 2012 he scheduled my surgery for my left foot for August 3 2012.  between the end of may and my pre op about for my foot on july 25, 2012 I began to have pain in my right foot, which I had year before, but really thought to myself that maybe because of everything going on it was on my head.  When I went to see doc for the pre op appointment, i proceed to tell him about my right foot and how I stepped down and hit the bottom of my foot where big toe is and it shot a horrible pain and my ankle buckled, he did xrays and came back to inform me that my right foot was full of atheritis as well and that foot would need surgery once the left one was healed, his exact words were you are very young to have this much atheritis.  I was extremley upset about this, he did NOT recommend doing both feet at the same time I told him I respeceted that but I needed to know why, he stated it is a very hard recovery and you really need 24/7 care for the first 4 weeks, I expained to him why I thought I needed to get it all done at once, if i was going to be laid up I knew I would stuggle with this because of no excersie I wanted to be ONE time, DEPRESSED at one time, HEALING at one time ect he agreed to do both my feet because I had the care at home.  I had my surgery on friday august 3 2012 to his and my surprise my right foot once he got in there was in worse shape than my left.  NOT going to lie this is ONLY my 3rd day this is painful, however I am doing NOTHING but laying with feet propped up, taking the meds as directed and iceing every hr this is going to be a VERY long healing process, but I will do what it takes for proper healing I NEED MY FEET FOR THE REST of my life...  I am hoping I can post good results as time goes by my doc did tell me this is NOT a wasy recovery and you have to be patient and you have to follow directions.. i will follow up on a few weeks

Thanks for the very helpful post.  Where were the bone spurs?  What did your doc say about when you can exercise again?

your welcome, I am not sure when I will be able to get back to exercing, its going to be a very LOONG slow process for healing but its my feet something I will be using the rest of my life so I really need to try to be patient and let them heal correctly

How are you doing after your bone spur removal surgery.