Hello there! I am about to have a bunion removed and I would like to know if there is anything special I should know of or if something may go wrong. Thank you in advance!

Hi! I am sure your surgeon or a doctor will tell you all you need to know before the surgery. Bunion surgery involves breaking the toe bone) to correct the alignment. There is also a tightening of the ligaments on the outside of the toe, and a release of the ligaments on the inside, so the tension on the ligaments points the toe in the proper direction. The biggest problems are that there will be probably pain in the foot, and that you won’t be able to heal completely in 3 months time. You may have to wear crunches and a special post-operative shoe to prevent pressure and forces to push on the healing bone. There may be some complications like inadequate correction, overcorrection of the deformity, nerve injury and infection. Good luck with your surgery!!!!

I had bunion surgery 15 months ago and I still hurt. I have scar tissue and have had to injection to help with the scar tissue the pain from the injection was unbeliveable Was told it may take three time to work does this sound normal. I was also given some excieces to do.

Do not do any bunion surgery at all. Don't trust any doctor....
I had to go through another surgery for the first burnion surgery which went wrong. It's painful and completely changed my life style right now. After almost 3 years, I've still been living in pain. I can't sleep at all every single night after the first surgery until now because of the nerver damage from the surgery. I am living in extremly depress and very tressfull right now... I couldn't perform well my full-time job, so I have to work part-time only... i don't have enough money to pay for the treatment even insurance pay for some... Two doctors did the surgery haven't contact me at all for this problem, but sending bills... I'm going to report this to the healthcare advisers if they can help me any.... :'(

I Had great bunion surgery- both feet at once. I experienced much more pain by not having the surgery. I healed quickly and with no problems. I went to a very experienced surgeon

I am one week post severe bunion and hammertoe surgery. They cut the tendon by my big toe and moved the bone over and fused the joint with a plate and pins. The hammertoe had a similar procedure and I have a pin sticking out of it for a couple more weeks. I had pain the day after but progressively less since then. I was given a big maxtrax boot and I am walking around already. I'll have to wear it for 8 more wks, but I can handle that. The boot helps with the swelling and makes it not painful at all to walk. I had a mother-in-law that was non-compliant post-surgery and she undid everything the doctor did. Just make sure you follow the rules and do what the doctor tells you. Wear the boot - it's not bad at all. I had no issues with infection and am a 54 year old diabetic.