I have stage II sarcoidosis and I believe that it began after having alot of exposure to pine trees/pine dust. I know this might sound crazy to some of you, but it caused by something and I can pinpoint when I got sick and when it worsens). My symptoms always get worse when I am around alot of pine trees or when the pine pollen is at its highest and the symptoms usually improve during the winter(except for the pain in my joints) or when I am at the beach (where there are no pine trees) I have seen multiple doctors as it is very extensive through out my body. affecting many organs. I have discussed the possibilty with them, and they all say any cause is possible as they have no idea what causes it. My primary doctor wanted me to see an allergist to see if they would be willing to test my senstivity to pine.
I would like to know how many of you with sarcoidosis, or with family or friends with the disease can say with certainity that they have also had exposure to pine. Thanks

I do think you should get a basic allergy test i to am allergic to pine tree's and a whole other host of thing's chronic allergies fibromyalgia,arthritis,and they say i have sarcoidosis,,chronic pain and anxiety and depression...and i today just got a biopsy of a fatty lump in my leg...........been ongoing with pain for over 20 years but the past 2 have been the worst with these painfull lumps all over body under my skin......do u have any of these lumps...and ace level how high is yours .....and the exposure is histamine which doe's play a role in making ur symptom's worse and flare up's...from allergen's,i also had a complete hysterectomy 2 years ago and that is when these new symptom's began i get steriod injection's every 3 month's for sarcoidosis,,,what treatment do u take for your's..my ace was 98..ps do u have exema or and hive's if so deffinately allergy problem....

Not sure if you are still monitoring this site but if you are, here is my experience of being diagnosed with Sarcoidosis. I was 32 years old (now aged 67 years) when I first started having many different debilitating symptoms. I was extremely tired, lethargic and had very painful joints which during the early morning and evening time would worsen and become distorted. I would feel really ill and when I was eventually admitted to hospital as I could not even get out of bed and was in so much pain, even when I was taken to the toilet on a wheelchair, when the nurse returned to take me back to the ward, they would find me collapsed on the floor and I was put on complete bed rest. After many blood tests, x-rays and examinations, Sarcoidosis was diagnosed. In view of my young age the doctor did not want me to take steroids and so he put me on a very large dosage of soluble aspirin which reduced the inflammation in my joints and I was eventually able to walk again. I stayed in hospital a few weeks but when discharged I was still very ill. Even when I eventually returned to work as a telephonist at Police HQ I had very little energy and if I ventured out in my dinner break, I would be so exhausted that I would want to sit down on the kerb of the roadside. If I needed any shopping, I could carry no more than half a pound (8 ounces) of cheese. I was told very little about the illness, only that it is very rare and I had the worst symptoms ever seen in our area. When I first got a computer and learning the wonders of being able to research the mountains of knowledge on the internet, I googled Sarcoidosis and I came across an article about this illness being prevalent amongst the lumberjacks of North America and it was thought there was a connection to the dust from the pine needles. I mentioned this to my GP as at the time of the onset of my illness I was spending a considerable amount of time in pine forests in England, Scotland and Wales, most weekends in fact and often stood outside throughout the whole night or day. I was a member of the British Motor Racing Marshals Club and we would set out the forest stages for the time trials and then be responsible for the safety of the spectators or to assist the competitors in any mishaps etc. I could not believe what I was reading and made the connection to my own situation immediately. Unfortunately I have never been able to find this article since. I certainly do think that there must be connection as mentioned in that article. Who would have thought that a 32 year old female telephonist would be in the same environment/surroundings on a regular basis as a North American lumberjack. I would think that, on paper, no connection would ever be made between these two. It was only because I came across the article and was able to see the similarity to what I did in my spare time that it became obvious to me that this was a definite possibility of what had caused me to have sarcoidosis. I do hope that this page is still being monitored and that someone may find my contribution helpful.

hi mspc. Where exactly do you live? seems you would have to get heavy exposure for something like that to happen.

Hello, It was nothing to do with where I lived but the fact that I spent my leisure time, (every weekend and more at times) in the pine forests of England, Wales, Scotland (and even visited Finland in 1978 for the Rally of a Thousand Lakes). I had done this for about 8 or 9 years when I was diagnosed with Sarcoidosis. As I said I was a marshal with the British Motor Racing Marshals Club and attended and assisted at both major and minor motor rallying events.

I have sarcoidosis, fortunately dormant at present. As a child I lived in a house whose garden backed directly on to a pine wood, the road being Pine View Road in Ipswich Suffolk.

There seems to be so much connection to Pine and Pine Forests for Sarcoidosis and I doubt that doctors make this connection when making their diagnosis. I didn't know of the connection until many, many years later when I first got a personal computer - I was diagnosed in 1980 - and I was just browsing the internet to gain some experience in doing this. I read that it was very common with lumberjacks in North America and Canada because of the time they spent in the pine forests and I immediately made the connection to myself because of the time I spent in the pine forests when marshalling on the motor rallies. I think there is a Sarcoidosis Society (or a branch related to Asthma and other Lung Diseases) so I am going to research this and contact them to ask about the connection to Pine Forests and people who have been diagnosed with Sarcoidosis. I was never asked about my lifestyle or where I spent my leisure time and I wonder if this part of people's lives is still being ignored or indeed the surrounding areas of where they live or have resided in the past. As I live in the North of England I am sure that I would never have been considered to have a connection in any way to the lifestyle of a lumberjack of North America and Canada. I will enter another message if and when I find out anything further.

I can say that I am going through the pine issue right now

I would be interested to read more if you can expand on this.

there is no proof that its connect to pine ,the bottom is we just dont know what causes it

My mom has had sarcoid since 1979 and it is from pine tree pollen settling in your lungs

I just started fighting SARCOIDOSIS of the lungs . I am a hunter and i have been placing pine branches in my hunting bags as a cover sent at least 15 years . Im glad you posted this maybe i will try this since they cant figure out what triggers it . Thanks for the info

I am a nurse and worked at a large world famous hospital and was told by a physician who was an Epidemiologist that there is
a very high incidence of Pulmonary Sarcoidosis associated with Pine trees... I was told this when I had a patient from North Carolina where there are a lot of pine trees and he lived in an area loaded with pine trees.