I just don’t understand how come that horrible diseases happen to nice people. My father has been working hard his whole life, raised 3 children and is waiting to die now. It is not fair. He has been working at the construction site his whole life and has been exposed to asbestos. He is now suffering from mesothelioma. But why now? How come that there weren’t any symptoms before? Please, tell me a bit more about this disease! Thank you!

Hello. I am very sorry to hear about your father. I know how hard it must be for you. My uncle died of mesothelioma. You didn’t tell me which part of the body has been affected in your father. There are three forms of this disease. Malignant mesothelioma can affect the mesothelial cells around the heart, lungs or abdominal organs. The most common type of mesothelioma is the one which affects the pleura, the thin membrane between the lungs and the chest cavity. It is called Pleural Mesothelioma. Peritoneal Mesothelioma is another form of this disease and it affects the peritoneum membrane of the abdomen. The third and the rarest type of mesothelioma is Pericardial Mesothelioma, which affects the tissue and cavity surrounding the heart. . An unusual aspect about this disease is that it does not manifest itself for years following the asbestos exposure – in fact, the average manifestation time is 35-40 years later, and in some cases even 50 years later. Even a short time exposure to asbestos can cause this disease. I don’t know what kind of treatment your father is having. There are a few options. Surgery involves cutting out the tissue in the affected area. This may involve removing part of the organ depending on the size of the affected area. Radiation treatment involves the use of radiation treatment to kill off the cancerous cells in the affected area. Chemotherapy, which is the use of drugs in the body used to kill off the cancerous cells. I don’t know what else to tell you! Be strong and supportive!