I am 27 and part Asian. Whenever I consume alcohol, whether it be drinking or if it is in food, I experience what is known as the "Asian Flush"; however, I also experience asthma attacks along with the headache, low blood pressure, intense heat, red blotchiness and swollen face & eyes. I want to know if thie asthma is something seperate from the "Asian Flush" or is that part of the symptoms too. I really don't hear enough about the asthma issue, and the frucose & sugar doesn't help.

Hello! It seems to me that the symptoms of asthma attacks and Asian flush don’t match, these are two separated conditions and if you are experiencing symptoms of both of these disorders, it is clear you need medical help.
You may not need help for Asian flush since there is only one treatment-abstinence from alcohol, as lame as that may sound. However, doctors may decide to get you tested for the presence of gene that has been linked to this disorder but if your symptoms all visible, there may not be need to.
Actually, I think that maybe there are some products available that are said to treat Asian flush but their effectiveness has not been proved. It would be best to talk about this when a doc when you see one.
Depending on the severity of asthma, you will be prescribed a proper treatment. Do you experience asthmatic symptoms only after alcohol consumption or do they appear on other occasions?

The only connection between Asian flush and asthma is that people who suffer from Asian flush may be at increased risk of developing alcohol related diseases like asthma, liver problems and esophagus cancer.

I do have the same problem.
I looked up the "asian Flush" on internet but nobosy seems to have it as bad as me. I flush beet red, I have low blood pressure, my heart is pumping, I get dizzy and I just can't catch my breath.

I really think that it is related to the "asian flush"... it's just a matter of how severe you get it.

I wonder if there is some kind of explanation on why it would affect some people more then the others...

How severe the flush is depends on many genetic and environmental factors. the asian flush is basically a kind of alcohol allergy. allergens are cumulative, so if you drink in spring or while sitting on a couch full of cat hair or in a smokey bar. your asian flush may be worse depending on if these things affect you. also you have to drink slower and less. while it's possible to build a tolerance like any other people, you will still look red and ridiculous long before you get even tipspy. IE, you actual tolerance will always be further afield than your flushing tolerance. i recommend a non alcohol centric lifestyle. it may be hard when your young but there are lot's of interesting people that don't drink or don't drink heavily.

i am an asian who flushes, i had asthmatic episodes from drinking while in russia due to the severe cold dry air. and also visiting my parents in the US, their house is very dusty. but generally i just look red and silly.

isaac

I too experience Asian Flush, but have never had asthma in my life. That said, when experiencing the Asian Flush reaction I also experience what I would best describe as wheezy breathing, or constricted breathing, that i guess would be akin to what would normally be experienced by asthmatics. So, i assume, if one already has a pre-existing asthmatic condition, then the Asian Flush reaction may be a sufficient catalyst for an asthma attack. There are a few methods used by people to reduce the Asian Flush reaction, and in my experience this not inly combats the red face reaction but also the wheezy breathing side effect. Perhaps you should do some reading on some forums or articles to find out which method works best for you. Please see the sites below as a starting point:

Best of luck,

I sincerely hope this helps,

J

***edited by moderator*** web addresses not allowed

Yea now that I think about it, it does actually makes sense, how we all just get red when we drink too much alcohol.

I remember I use to be like that, I hated it as I could never have too much fun
But now I enjoy my days without worrying about if i'm going to get that or not.

____________________________________

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** web addresses not allowed*** 

Hey hawk,could you please tell me what worked for you as im all out of ideas...and have looked at so many forums. Thank you