Is there anything you can do to prevent your face from turning very red and blotchy when you know that you will be drinking alcohol.

I'm actually hoping for an answer to this one too..., i've heard pepcid works, little before you drink, and on a full stomach. But its an extremely annoying problem. People will tell you, well just don't drink. But first, you want to have a good time once in a while, and sometimes you don't have a choice. I'm a waitress and every week in a class, we have to try out new kinds of alcohol for the first hand experience of a buzz on it. I cannot skip this because it helps me familiarize with all the drinks very effectively, yet i can't get up from the class after one or two drinks looking totally blown, and the worst part is my tolerance is the same as most people my size, i just get beet red after one drink and maybe the slightest slightest buzz. SOMEONE HELP... both of us please.

I am not sure if this is an anxiety problem or not. For the past several years I have been having many issues with a red/blotchy neck and chest (everyday this happens). It happens with a change of emotions like the following: excited, nervous, angry, embarassment, even when I step out the shower, tanning bed, driving a car anywhere, talking on the phone, or running into my friends somewhere, and even if I am outside and the sun hits my neck just right, or I go out with my friends and I have a sip of alchol. I also feel a rapid heart beat, and get really hot while I am receiving the red blotches on my neck, and chest. Please tell me there is a cure and there is something I could take for this. Right now the Dr. has me on high blood pressure medication, but I really don't have high blood pressure, and I don't feel as if I should be taking it, if I am not suffering from it. Is there a special cream and/or medication that will prevent this from happening all the time?

i used to have the red/blothcy thing too. it is called Hives and it is due to allergies, and i would take a children's chewable antiistamine when i would feel it happening. i stopped eating dairy and my allergies went way, and so did my hives.

I get red blotches on my face, neck and chest when i'm stressed, on the phone, drinking stimulants or talking fast... al results of high emotion. I used to just flush -- all over red, but it would disappear quicker, in response to changing stimulus. Now i get the blotches, that have really defined jaggered edges. It's very dramatic, and can be embarrassing if someone mentioned it.
I have found something to help though. I used to go to an auricular acupuncturist - from a local charity, and because i was nervous the first time, the first thing he did was put one needle in my ear while i was having my induction interview. Within seconds the blotchiness lost its edges and my face flushed over red, and then it dissipated. He told me that it was to improve the peripheral circulation - certain people are prone to trapped chi (he called it - i think it just means energy - it's the chinese way of thinking about it).
Whenever i had a treatment i always had this needle as part of it. I was also instructed on where to massage/press my ears to trigger the same response. If your interested, it would be better to look for an aricular acupuncture chart on the net, so you get it right. you can buy tiny magnets to put on ear points as well, these are really effective, and means you don't have to keep touching your ears.
The point that worked for me was the shen men, its an anti anxiety point, and easy to manipulate using fingers. Any point that is good for circluation for example the liver point, will also help. The kidney point will work if it's a result of high emotions and anxiety.
Flushing is also worse if you have excess niacin (vitamin B3) in your diet. It can be found in energy drinks and added to certain foods, naturally occurs in meat and grain i think... so if sometimes your more prone to blotchiness than others, maybe there's a dietary aspect. to it too.

For some reason every once in a while when I drink I get red... It does not happen all the time. It starts out with a light warming sensation and then my face begins to look tan or sunburn... After about 30 min practically all my scars on my body turn pink and it looks blotchy around my face, neck, back and chest... All scars on legs, arms, or anywhere else turn pink.... Strange but is there any particular reason for this? Some kind of allergic reaction?

I don't know what ethnicity you all are, but it's often called asian flush or asian sunburn. I just came across a forum where people noticed it was worse with a full stomach, and a lot of those posters, as well as I, take pepcid before drinking and it doesn't happen, although my eyes still get really bloodshot. I'm hoping that someone knows the mechanism for this working. I want to make sure I'm not poisoning myself (any worse than drinking).

I am having the same issues, but I just started taking Eredicane and it seems to be working. Its a dietary supplement you can buy online and it is made specifically for this reason. Its all natural and can be found by searching eredicane on yahoo.

Its genetics and we can't do anything about it.

We have an inactive enzyme called aldehyde dehydrogenase 2 (ALDH2). This enzyme is responsible for breaking down acetaldehyde, a byproduct of the metabolism of alcohol. Acetaldehyde is a toxin, and when we can't break it down, we start going "red-faced" or our heartbeat races like crazy, etc as a response to the toxin.

I'm Chinese, and I get the this issue. I realised this when I got completely smashed in an "end of high-school" party.

Nowadays, I usually say I don't drink alcohol with a confident tone, and folks don't mind it. Well, it doesn't affect what they think of me as a whole.

I get that too, but I found that if I stay away from sugar mixers that it doesn't happen. Whereas if I drink, say, rum and regular coke, after a few I start turning. If I stick with diet, however, nothin' happens. Weird.
Also, I've tried Benadryl a few hours before going out and that also helps the redness.
I'm German/Irish, so I don't think it's related to the asian flush.

I am scandinavian and have the same problem. However I can drink large amounts of alcohol. It's just the 1st 1-2 drinks that I feel like my face/ears and chest is on fire. I also get a hot-flash-really sweating!
I also get all blotchy on my chest & hot-flash when I am anxoius.
Weird syndrom.

I believe there may be up to four different issues being described here, but the one the original poster and a previous poster is referring to is the one that I too share.

1.) Genetics related to Asian decent:

It is true that the Asian population has higher degree of the issue brought up in an earlier post that they cannot break down/process alcohol like the rest of the worlds populous. On a side note a large amount of even European descendants have at least some Asian genetics in them due to the Mongols conquering some, if not all of Europe and Asia at one time or another. Basically if you have had the need to remove any of your wisdom teeth due to available space, then you most likely have Asian genetics. For some reason the northern Scottish have a greatly reduced percentage of people needing wisdom teeth to be removed.

2.) Diet excluding alcohol food (allergies):

If you can reproduce the issue of the blotchy red face/neck issue by just ingesting something specific, then you would have a food allergy that should be able to be curtailed by your eating drinking habits.

3.) Flush Face and other parts of the body due to Anxiety/Emotion/Stress:

This affects many people to different degrees, not just in the severity, but also in the areas affected. This is something I have personally experienced as a few friend’s of mine growing up would have a similar symptoms for this, but one friend in particular would have a patch on his forehead light up every time he was not telling the truth, when his anxiety grew past his comfort limit, or when in a situation of high stress/emotion (like asking a girl out). This area I don't have much else to offer.

4.) The problem that has yet to be explainable to me by any Doctor, forum, health guru, or Dermatologist.

Quotes of my symptoms found on this forum: “Now I get the blotches, that have really defined jaggered edges” This struck me very true, “Also, I've tried Benadryl a few hours before going out and that also helps the redness” I usually take it after because I never know when it will strike (I am also German/Irish/English, but also Sicilian and Scottish), “For some reason every once in a while when I drink I get red... It does not happen all the time. It starts out with a light warming sensation and then my face begins to look tan or sunburn... After about 30 min practically all my scars on my body turn pink and it looks blotchy around my face, neck, back and chest...”

These descriptions are almost exactly what I experience, except that included with the warm sensation (which other people who feel my skin, at anytime during this whole ordeal, can confirm definite extra warmness) is that I also have shortness of breath that gets worsened as time goes by. I dated a nurse once and she made me take Benedryl right away when it would happen due to her being the one buying me all the shots.

On top of this I too get the scar thing with varying degrees of red to purple, but it never gets to anywhere other than my arms/hands, but have never thought to check other scars. Also the palms of my hands seem to get more red than usual. I have noticed issue to arise on days of heavy drinking. Once from just beer after a long day of golf, but have noticed it more frequently lately when I drink particular shots. These shots are usually mixed shots of Red Bull and Vodka, and rarely for shots of Yagermeister. It has happened with Long Island iced teas before too. It doesn’t always happen though.

I have tried to narrow down the common denominators, but can only come up with is that: either my liver is having problems, I have a slight case of the Asian Flush, or option three. I may be allergic to the solvents used in the cleaning process of the shot glass’s and beer glass’s (it only happened once with just beer, a long time ago, in 16 ounce draft glass’s). More particularly the solvent used for the quick dry process so the glass’s may be used again faster. I am currently testing this out by just drinking bottled beer, when I drink, to see if it happens again.

Red Blotchy Face free for 2 months. Hope this helps us get some sort of answer so that I may throw away this “life-time” supply of Benedryl.

hi guys i found this site about ago when i was looking for a "cure" 2 the redness that like sum of you i get on a daily basis, when im on the phone in a convo or just even by myself. iv had it since i can remb and it has be come a problem in my life, s[ecaily in social situations. im sure most of you understand how embarrising this can be when it happens, anyway i took the advice of one of you who recommended Eredicane, but since i live in New Zealand geting this can be very expensive. so i did my own research and asked the advice someone in the medical area anyway i found a pill that has pretty much the same things in it but is less expensive and iv taken it for a week now and NO REDNESS yay, even when i was socialy drinking i didnt get red so im really happy and i hope this might work for some of you the name is "goodhealth" (deep sleep, nervous system support, but its actualy not for sleep and doesnt make you feel sleepy its more for stress and anxiety) if you dont live in NZ and cannot get this product look at the ingriedents in Ericane and look 4 sumthing similar, because its worth it, its changed my life.hope this might help someone

Alcohol is a vaso dilater which means it opens uhp the blood vessels to the heart, making the blood flow to the face causing facial flushes; my question is if alcohol is a vasal dilater why does this not happen with every drink you drink and happens every now and this.
My second question is this. If you are dehydratedd this can result in a flushed face. One of the biggest reasons for dehydration is alcohol abuse, so when if you have been out on a 4 day bender, with no water involve whatsoever do you still have a white face?

take clariton or other allergy med that constricts the blood vessels, see a doctor of course before taking anything,