Hi, I'm 32 years old asian men and I think I'm genetically alcohol intolent.
I always have bad reaction such as intense flushing or reddening of the skin right after drinking a half glass of beer.
Even though this might not be defined as a disease, this has been a huge burden for my social life.
Is there any treatment for alcohol intolerance?

I wouldn't say that you are alcohol intolerant, I would say you have problems with Asian Flush. Many Asian people suffer from this condition in which they are not able to break down a specific alcohol compound called acetaldehyde due to the lack of an enzyme called aldehyde dehydrogenase.

The toxic effects of the compound cause the redness, watery eyes and all the discomfort associated with it.

The only way is to avoid the alcohol. :-(

Asian people are much more likely to have alcohol intolerance. I don't know if someday there will be an enzyme or something you can take to help artificially break down alcohol, the way lactose intolerant people do, but for now, you might try sticking to sake. Some Asians can tolerate that better than other kinds of alcohol.

"The only way is to avoid the alcohol."
I agree,but will end that statement with a smileyface rather than a sad face. :-D

Hi RMC99,

I have the same problem, and I avoid alcohol as much as possible. That said, there are times when I do drink and I have researched a few ways to combat the redness. There are many websites and forums discussing the use of Pepcid AC and other antacids as a way to reduce the redness and also increase overall alcohol tolerance. There are also a variety of ways in addition to this to totally rid yourself of any negative side effects, but these come at a cost.

Have a read through the following articles for more information:

I sincerely hope this helps,

Regards,

J

***edited by moderator*** web addresses not allowed

sorry, try this:

thanks "moderator" for taking away all useful links by jhawking :(