can tou tell me why i have a realy bad reaction to alcohol,even very small amounts give me bad headaches and a few drinks will give me a terribe hangover and make me sick for days,i am 30 years old and otherwise healthy...

Dear Karen
I used to drink copious amounts of alcohol but I now find that even a small amount of alcohol will cause several days of a hangover type reaction ,with bad head and digestive discomfort .;
Reluctantly I try to avoid it . Some wines appear to have a worse affect than others , and it can also be worse with certain food combinations.

I didn't think anyone in the world was having this problem but me... Thank God!
I'm 25 yrs old. Sucdenly within the past year I've developed an allergy to alcohol??? No way!!
I make it to about half of one drink and there are a number of symptoms that occur.
*instant flu-like sick. so bad I must sleep it off.
*pain that goes into my left arm that are similar to a heart attack, so similar it could've been.
*brief black out during flu sick that made me bust my ribs on the bath tub trying to crawl back to the toilet.
*can't look at light, severe migraine.
*dry heaving
*effects lasting until the next morning and not stopping before sleep.

What is this? What's wrong with me?
I heard on a Reba episode the daughter Cheyanne says that she's been given some pill that's called Booze Away, she names it, but I didn't catch it. It gives a violent sick reaction to alcohol.... It's at least an idea. Please, I need answers! This is way worse than your average acid reflux. :-)

I feel for you big time!...I have apparently and rather suddenly, at the age of 44, developed a similar aversion to alcohol! I get really sick after 1/2 glass: suffer from 'asian flush' (look this one up! red cheeks after a drink, and I am not of asian decent), dizzy, feverishly hot, feel like I am going to faint, feel like I am detoxing, so sick that I start to panick and cry and want to go to the hospital! Never in my life have I ever felt so unbelievably ill.

I think to myself, "WHAT the HE** is going on here!?" I was able to drink a LOT in the past, have a few beers here and there and then BOOM! No tolerance whatsoever starting last summer. I was having a few beers on a Sunday night with friends. Went to work the next afternoon and nearly fainted at work. Got very hot, flushed and nauseous. Felt like the WORST hangover I had ever had. Was fine in the morning, however....

As I tried to drink a few days later and over the course of the next while, I could tolerate less booze and was sicker faster. Now I am at the point where I cannot take a shot without having to lay in a cold tub of water! What fun is that? I have completely quit all alcohol, even cough syrup as I took some 2 wks ago for a chest cold and got just as sick!

I have had bloodwork done to check my liver. All clear. I am following up with more tests: billirubin blood count, pancreas, liver, HepC, as someone suggested it could be secondary reaction to an environmental issue that has shut down my system in this way. WOW!

Check out asian flush on the net. Lots of info about flush faces and some of the folks feel as we do. However, much of what they suffer from stops there: at the redness of the face. It seems that you and I have taken things one step further and need to look into our wellbeing further.

Tootsie

Tootsie

I have the same problme. I am 45 . About 2 years ago out of the blue I had like 4 drinks and the worst hangover of my life. From that point on, I can not even drink one drink wihtout getting a massive hangover . I too had all the tests done including a liver biopsy-all negative. Did you guys figure anything out? I used to drink 1-2 glasse sof wine a night with no problems. Help!

wow! i can really relate to the posting by n_trouble. I am about the same age and very healthy otherwise, but suddenly developed this reaction with what I consider to be very intense symptoms. It takes me days of feeling nauseous, dizzy, and in extreme tightness and pain in my chest after drinking alcohol although i was having a heart attack - i know im not, but it sure as hell feels that way. used to be able to drink endlessly. wish we could get some medical advice on what really causes this and if there is any better way to help the symptoms or prevent it from happening...

SO glad to have found others suffering from this! Anyone find out any news? I used to be able to drink every night, a ritual, couple of glasses of wine with diner- now after 5 or 6 sips, I feel like I wish I was dead the next day! sorry, but i'ts true....headache, nausea...you can see it all over my face - look like I drank 3 bottles :-)...anyway, I like a glass of wine and would like to figure out what this is, and find a cure. If anyone has had any luck - thanks for sharing!

take care everyone :~)

I have this problem too, and everyone thinks I am nuts or imangineing it! I used to be a somewhat heavy drinker in my 20's. I would always get bad hangovers but would go away after 24 hours. I became a light drinker after the birth of my twins, and was able to handle a few now and then just fine. I didn't drink for almost 2 years after the birth of my 3rd son. After that if I had 2 beers I would feel hungover for
3 days. Now it has gotton worse. If I go nuts and have a wild night and drink alot, I can hardly function for 2 days, then will feel crappy and sluggish for about 5-6 days! Now if I even have one drink (light beer or wine cooler included) I feel bad for 4-5 days. I had a wine cooler on Saturday and still feel bad today on Wednesday. I am going to ask my Dr. about it when I go for my yearly check next month. I know the cure, just don't drink........ But I am worried it is something else. I don't know why I keep doing this to myself. I don't have a problem with alcohol but do love to have a drink now and then. Vacations are hard too. It is hard not to resist having a drink while I am relaxing on a beach~ but when I do, it ruins the rest of my trip.
I have tried herbal supplements, drinking tons of water, gatorade, etc..... Nothing works. Has anyone found an medical answer??? I did read on another post to have adrenals checked. I will have to mention this to my Dr.

i have the same problem-- im 24 and for years have been drinking-- not excessively but like a 20 yr old. in the last few years every so often when i start drinking i will start to feel sick--- or i'll drink for a few hours and then start throwing up-- nonstop. last night i had a beer on burboun street and wound up waking up at 2 am throwing up. i wish someone knew what the deal was!!!!

I have a similar problem. I can have about 1 mixed drink OR about 3 beers, and I will be so horribly hungover the next day. I will wake up early, and vomit about every 20 minutes until I can fall back asleep, which usually takes quite a few hours. The ONLY thing that has stopped the vomiting is going back to sleep. If I eat, or take anything it just gets worse. Im 21, and I've ALWAYS been like this. Its gotten increasingly worse. Before, I assumed it was because I was drinking too much, but now that I've cut back I've seen that it happens with any amount of alcohol. I have a very, very social life and I'd like to be able to have a drink or two and still be able to function the next day.

i am just like the rest of these people.i too have adverse reactions to even a small amount of alcohol. WHY? I WANT AN ANSWER. MY DR. CANNOT GIVE ME AN ANSWER.can someone help us. i take ibuprofen and gabapentin. is it one of these? or both?

i am just like the rest of these people.i too have adverse reactions to even a small amount of alcohol. WHY? I WANT AN ANSWER. MY DR. CANNOT GIVE ME AN ANSWER.can someone help us. i take ibuprofen and gabapentin. is it one of these? or both? i also have episodes when my face suddenly flushes and feels hot and burning.i am a 58 yr old woman on hrt. i was put on gabapentin to control migraine headaches and ibuprofen for arthritis. now i am getting shingles and i think its because i have been getting steroid epidural shots in my spine and just found out i need spinal fusion.i am having a new mri done next week.i'd love to have a couple of beers but my throat. starts to close and my lips swell up.CAN SOMEONE HELP ME?

I thought it was only me!!! i have on three occasions had incredible hangovers after only a couple of drinks....severe sickness, pounding headaches and stomach upsets. It takes me days to recover. I have decided now i am a teetotaler ...i have no choice!..........i have never been a heavy drinker and never had problems with my liver , i dont think, although the doctor when he does a urine test says i have protein in my water.

I am another relieved to find that I am not the only one with this problem. Just like most of you I have been able to drink, heavily or not, my whole life. Two years ago my hangovers became more and more unbearable. I am now to the point that one drink, beer, wine, anything, will leave be bedridden for 24 hours. I am so sick I vomit until there is nothing left, then contintue to dry heave until the 24 hours is up. Headache too, it is horrible! Has ANYONE found an answer? I just want to be able to enjoy a glass of wine with my friends at this point.