Hello. I know this sound impossible but I think that I’m allergic to alcohol. I don’t know to describe this medically, but believe me, I suffer from such allergy all my life.
I’m 27-year-old Chinese man.
After I drank at least one alcoholic drink, my face becomes flushed, my heart beats faster and my temperature goes up (my skin radiates heat).
First, I thought it was some food allergy but lately I realized that the alcohol is responsible for all my allergy symptoms.
Is this possible? Are there any conditions like ‘alcohol allergy’ described in medical books? Please help!
Yes, it is possible so you don’t have to worry at all.
There is one condition like alcohol allergy medically described and it is called Asian flush! As you know, you are Asian and you have every chances to suffer from this.
When you drink alcohol, you blood level of acetaldehyde is rising.
This can be cause of your allergic-like symptoms. In most man, this acetaldehyde is oxidized in most people by the enzyme aldehyde-dehydrogenase.
However nearly half of all Asians have non-functional copies of the ALDH2 gene and that causes lack of aldehyde-dehydrogenase, increased level of acetaldehyde and you have your allergic-like symptoms.
Taking fructose or glucose might help because it is proven that supplementation of diets with fructose or glucose increased the
elimination of alcohol, but without affecting the alcohol
So, eat a lot of sugar and then try to drink alcohol. It might help you.
I sometimes get a bright red, hot face, neck and nose whislt drinking alcohol. My brother and mum are the same but I am British and have no Asian background at all. Does this mean I am allergic to alcohol? Please help!
I often get a bright red, hot dace, chest and nose whilst drinking alcohol. My brother and mother suffer from the same problem but we are White British and do not have any Asian background at all. Does this mean I am allergic to alcohol and is there a cure? (except giving it up of course!)
If you're not asian, you're in the same boat as myself. To the geneticists, the ALDH-2 variation has only been demonstrated conclusively in asians - not people of european decent, or even american indians - who at least in popular culture in america, are thought to. That does NOT mean, however, that one's experience with alcohol are less real. There is definitely something going on - just not sure it has to do with the exact same process. Trust your body. There's no need to wait for the validation of science or medicine.
I can tolerate drinking 8 ounces, but I start reacting sooner. Rinsing with mouthwash is usually enough to give me an ulcer on my tongue. 8 ounces of a drink results in a severe headache, along with a rash with swelling of my face, lips, tongue, and neck. My skin will feel like I just mega-dosed on niacin. Then things feel really loud, and look too bright. If it's "not alcohol" that I am reacting too, it has got to be something that is present in all alcohol, including mouthwash & purel, and absent from everything else. I can't drink enough to get drunk, and I can't get drunk enough to enjoy drinking. No bother, the smell of it from 10 feet makes me nauseous so I avoid alcohol in any form, including hand sanitizers.
I have been allergic to alcohol since I was 14. With me it begins with a severe itching on the back of my neck and scalp. I am now 23 and the symptoms have worsened. With just a sip of ANY alcoholic drink (including mouthwash) I get the itching on my scalp and the back of my neck which quickly turns into hives all over my body. These hives aren't normal either. The entire surface of me skin turns bright red and i get white hives all over that vary in size, some are extremely small and others are very large.
What happens next is that I become extremely cold while the itching makes my body feel like it is on fire. About 20 minutes into the experience my fingernails and toenails turn as blue as they would if I were dead or immersed in freezing cold water.
At the peak of the reaction I black out and convulse.
Now, I have lived with this allergy for quite some time and avoiding alcohol has become easy. My allergy is getting worse. Today I took a dosage od Theraflu in which alcohol is a minor, inactive ingrediant and my allergy came into action full fledge.
Doctor's never believe me because they say that no one is allergic to alcohol itself. They say it muse be wheat or grapes, etc. I tell them I don't get this reaction to any fruits or wheat product and it doesn't matter whether I have a sip of beer, wine, or any liquor. The reaction is always the same and each time I react to alcohol the symptoms are even more extreme.
I feel like there is something very wrong with me that is causing the alcohol allergy, but I don't know how to get a doctor to take me seriously and figure out what it is.
My reaction to ANY alcohol, even the smallest amount used in cooking for instance, includes flushing, going into shock, alternating hot and cold flashes, tunnel vision, rushing in the ears preliminary to passing out, severe abdominal pains, extreme drop in blood pressure, and explosive diarrhea. This usually occurs about 20 minutes after consumption, and can last for several hours. I have to treat myself for dehydration afterwards, and generally spend the next day in bed, quite weak.
Upon merely breathing fumes that contain alcohol, I go into shock, my nose bleeds and I pass out if exposed for a short time (this happened on a tour of a winery, for example). The alcohol content in semi-gloss paint elicited a delayed reaction: 24 hours after painting a room for a friend, I went into toxic shock, had all of the above symptoms except for the cramping and diarrhea, and passed out. The doctor took my blood and found my white blood cell count to be through the roof.
I am about 1/8 Native American, but none of my relatives (a very large family) has had these issues, although alcoholism is a problem with some and may be related somehow. I didn't discover the problem until I was in college, because my family didn't consume or cook with alcohol when I was growing up. I am watching my children carefully and have warned them (and their doctor) of the possibility.
Needless to say, I avoid alcohol at all costs, and warn doctors and ER's of it as though it is an allergy. Whenever I eat at a restaurant, I ask the chef if wine, sherry, or any alcohol is used in the preparation of the food. Asking the server isn't often helpful, as they often assume and just say things to try to please you. Inform the staff that you have a severe allergy to alcohol (no point in going into long explanations) and that 'cooking it off' is not sufficient to keep a reaction at bay, and they will generally make a more genuine effort to steer you toward safer menu items. Japanese food is generally treacherous for me. I am able to use alcohol in cooking for myself, but only in stews and things that cook for several hours, and I make sure to reduce to the the point that the liquid cannot be further reduced before doing the slow-cooking.
I hope this is helpful.
For information; yeast in my diet was also causing a whole lot of problems on my health. After removing it from my diet completely, I feel on top of the world after four years of my life in despair(currently researching Candidiasis.) The yeast in my diet may have also been a contributary factor to the Asian flush in my case. I am not a scientist but this has worked for me. Try removing yeast from your diet for one week (not easy with a Western diet) then drink Gin.
I experienced a different kind of drunk, without the pounding heart beat, fatigue, or flush. It's almost like feeling sober with the knowledge that you are quite drunk, if that makes any sense.
I hope this information helps as drastically as it has done with me.
I've conducted my own "unofficial" research and the only constant when I break out in my flush is that I've consumed alcohol. For the best part of a year I kept track of where I drank, how much, where I was, what I'd eaten etc - the the only common factor was that I had some form of alcohol (nb. this is the type of research I like doing! ;-) ).
Can any of you'se comment as to whether your reaction occurs every time you go near alcohol or does it seem to occur at random ... or am I just weird? ;-)