Hi, my doctor believes that I mat be suffering from autoimmune disorder of peripheral nerves. But, he said that more tests need to be conducted to confirm his opinion. What is this condition about?

The disease of peripheral nerves is called peripheral neuropathy. Peripheral neuropathy is a neurological disorder affecting the sensory, motor and autonomic nerves. Symptoms of an autoimmune peripheral neuropathy include slowed movement, weakness in muscles, cramping, decreased tendon reflexes, numbness, tingling, and dull pain affecting the arms and legs. Different kinds of disease can be classified as: symmetric or asymmetric, acute or chronic Disease can develop rapidly or have slow progression. It can be affecting one (mononeuropathy) or many nerves (polyneuropathy). An electrophysiological examinationis needed to assess kind of disease.

Hello there Baggett,

First of all I am so sorry that you have been suspected that you are suffering from autoimmune neuropathy. I am aware of the fact that some additional testing needs to be conducted before your doctor gets the right diagnosis but it is highly unlikely that he is completely wrong.

Since brammer has already explained you causes, symptoms and classification of this condition there is no reason to repeat his words. I would just like to add that I hope that you will find a way to manage with this condition and that you have support of your family and your friends. Keep us posted about further events and good luck with everything.