I know that wegener's vasculitis is a very rare and dangerous disease, but I am not sure about the exact prognosis. I think there is no cure for wegener's vasculitis but does that mean that it is usually fatal? Please tell me more about wegener's vasculitis if you can. Thanks for your help!

Hello there,

Wegener's granulomatosis is an incurable form of vasculitis which is inflammation of blood vessels.  Wegener's granulomatosis affects nose, lungs, kidneys and other organs. Unfortunately it is life threatening condition and requires long term immunosuppression.when it comes to prognosis five year survival is up to 87%. But it must be noted that certain numbers include mortality due to toxicity of treatment.

This condition belongs to a larger group of vasculitic syndromes. Vasculitis syndromes are including an autoimmune attack by an abnormal type of circulating antibody termed antineutrophil cytoplasmic antibodies against small and medium-size blood vessels.

I hope that this information has helped you somewhat but you will need to ask your doctor about everything that concerns you. Good luck.