I finally figured out what was wrong with me until my Dr. called and said that I need to start taking 1000 micrograms of vitamin B12 once a day %-) because it's low in my blood. So I was wondering is common for someone with bipolar to have that. %-)

I don't know if it is common but I am Bipolar and have b12 deficiency as well

I also am not sure if it is common, but I too was diagnosed with Bipolar disorder, and have just found out that I have a B-12 deficiency.
Smiles and good energies...Ben

Well, again, like everyone else, I'm not sure if it goes hand in hand with being bipolar, but I DO have a friend that was diagnosed before as having Bipolar disorder and was being treated as such. She ended up getting worse on the medication as the months went on. It was later found that she was actually B12 deficient and they took her off the medication to treat Bipolar disorder, and started treating her B12 deficiency and she hasn't felt better in her life.

Hi guys.  I came across this while checking to see if there had been any studies into B12 and mania since I last looked a few years ago.

My story is that I went through about 6 years of extreme stress as a teen.  Last 2 years of that was almost constant severe depression.  Following this, I had my first manic episode, followed by four years of depression, hypomania and rapid cycling and at least one more full blown manic episode.  Then I was diagnosed as bipolar.  I took meds but stopped within a month due to the terrible fatigue they caused.  A year later, I had a general health check up and found I was B12 deficient.

I was put on injections and a few months later I got depressed.  Immediately I kicked in my coping mechanisms honed over the years to deal with severe depression and... I stopped being depressed.  It was a shock.  First time in over a decade that I'd felt the normal non-bipolar level of depression.  It was then that I realised I hadn't had ANY bipolar symptoms since the B12 shots had kicked in.  I monitored it and despite enduring the sorts of situations that were normally guaranteed to trigger episodes, I haven't had any bipolar symptoms since late 2008, almost 3 years now.

I checked online and could find now studies into this.  I did, however, find case-studies in peer-reviewed medical journals documenting a handful of cases where patients had reported with major mania including psychosis.  It was the only time in their lives they ever had a manic episode and they had extremely low B12.  Upon treating the B12 deficiency, the symptoms cleared up, never to return.

My bloods came back as showing that my B12 has not depleted again so I don't need to take shots.  I don't have chronic low B12.  My hypothesis is that since B12 is depleted by illness and by stress, the 6 year period of anxiety/stress/depression in my teens may have depleted my B12.  This in turn, could have caused the subsequent mania.  Since I've dealt with the issues causing my depression, I no longer stress out and am not prone to depression and since I got the B12 injections, I no longer am prone to mania.  In short, I do not think I have bipolar any longer (I appreciate that the current rules of diagnosis wouldn't accept this as a possibility.).

In conclusion, I encourage anyone with bipolar to get their bloods checked and to address any deficiencies the tests highlight.  It's well worth the try.  It may not be that everyone with bipolar diagnoses have low B12 but there are many roads to Rome and if there is a significant sub-category of bipolar patients who would benefit from this, then that would be brilliant.

Hello: I really liked your story... My s

I read that people are often low in B 12 as they age. Seems like it would be a double whammy if it occurs in people with
bipolar disorder.

Hey, I was diagnosed with Bipolar 2 shortly after I had my 2 sons over 20 years ago. I am 46 now and have been married now for 25 years with a difficult marriage because of severe mania and depression. So my question is do you think that I really don't have Bipolar and that b12 shots would actually make me be "normal"? That would be totally awesome. I have been off and on some many meds. Also I have insomnia so bad, that it has led me to have panic attacks. Would like to know. Thank you for your story.