Hello. I'm 45 year old male and just recently I have developed some strange problems. About a month ago I started to suffer from sleeping disorder, or insomnia, to be precise. Beside this, I suffered from almost constant nervousness or restlessness during the daytime.
I really don’t know what could be the cause because nothing big has changed in my life recently. Anyway I have contacted my doctor over this and he prescribed me some drug called barbiturate. I'm drinking it for several days now and I'm very satisfied with it. But, yesterday, my good friend was very surprised when he heard that I using this drug for insomnia because it is the same drug he used for his epilepsy. Is there anything I'm missing here?

Hi. I see that you are surprised to hear that you and your friend are using the same drug, although your “problem” seams to be a lot less serious. Well, barbiturates belong to the group of medicines called central nervous system (CNS) depressants and they can be used for many things. Sometimes, they are being used before surgery to relieve anxiety or tension and sometimes- help control seizures in certain disorders or diseases, such as epilepsy.
Although, it is proven that barbiturates can help in treating insomnia, I have read somewhere that they have generally been replaced by safer medicines for the treatment of insomnia and daytime nervousness or tension because to frequent use can lead to addiction.