My lips have been red and swollen and recently was told I had angio ademia. any relation?

Your symptoms are typical angioedema symptoms. Angioedema is similar to hives and can be caused by foods, medications, insect bites, pollen, animal dander but it could also occur from stress.

Angioedema is an allergic reaction. When the immune system tracks an allergen, it releases histamine and other chemicals into the blood stream.

Some people suffer from hereditary angioedema. It is an immune system abnormality that runs in families and causes swelling, but it could also cause cramping in the abdominal area.

There is a difference between hereditary and allergic angioedema. In hereditary, people don’t develop hives or itching.

Your doctor needs to determine what the allergen was/is and prescribe you with the proper treatment if necessary. Mild cases don’t need treatment.