Hi. I have a reason to suspect my husband suffers from a mild form of bi-polar disorder, most likely cyclothymia. I am really having trouble convincing him to speak with a doctor. You know how hard man can be... If I try to get him read articles, he says he’s functioning and that there’s no trouble. Can you help me convince him to consider there's a problem and a solution for it? Thanks.

Hello! What I would do in your case is to try having him read about bipolar II (rather than bipolar I). He might be less rejecting of the idea if you emphasize in advance that "bipolar disorder" is a spectrum of symptoms varying from severe to none; and that the question is whether he might be on this spectrum and thus in a position to benefit from treatment. Good luck.

I looked at this too....but soon found that bp2 and cyclothymia are pretty much the same thing. I am sticking with a bp2 diagnosis. My lows are quite low and my highs are more agitated and angry not MANICALY high...it's weird. But it's enough to ruin a relationship...that has been put thru hell for 17 years of dealing with it. I truly thought it was HIM who was being insensitive..i really didn't see it was me being OVERsensative

finally an answer!! no one told me there was a Bp 1 and Bp 2 I'm also in the Bp 2 category I don't fly high I just get agitated and angry about almost anything and when I'm low I'm borderline fkn suicidal. I know what you mean about ruining relationships I already killed 1 marriage, That was before I was diagnosed properly. But even now I'm a walking fkn pharmacy and I'm still up and down. Currently I'm on 225mg of venlaflaxine and 1000mg of divalproex per day. It controls the anger to the point that I'll yell when I'm low and just plain mean when I'm in a high mood, but before I would pick fights or just kick the hell out of some poor guy just for the fun of it. I'm curious to know what meds you are on and how well they work for you? I'm 40 yrs old and have only been diagnosed about 2 yrs ago. I'm also wondering if you are close to my age? I ask because if you are on different meds and you have more control than I do maybe I need a change.